Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-05-2024, 03:49 PM

Default European Nightcrawlers Edmonton

Hi All,

I have searched the internet and all of the old threads on here. I want to start a worm farm for fishing bait and I can not find any European Nightcrawlers locally in Edmonton.

Does anyone know if anyone sells them here in town or if not where I can get them?

Thanks in Advance.
Old 03-05-2024, 03:57 PM

Ok what is the difference between European night crawlers and North American ones?

Not a big worm guy and all I know is there is big dew worms/night crawlers or small garden worms
Old 03-05-2024, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Ok what is the difference between European night crawlers and North American ones?

Not a big worm guy and all I know is there is big dew worms/night crawlers or small garden worms
I am not an expert but my understanding is the Euro Nightcrawlers are a little bit easier to raise in a shallow container and are a little bit more resilient to temp changes so they're easier to maintain a farm.

That is just my understanding.
Old 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom4 View Post
I am not an expert but my understanding is the Euro Nightcrawlers are a little bit easier to raise in a shallow container and are a little bit more resilient to temp changes so they're easier to maintain a farm.

That is just my understanding.
Worms are not native to north america actually. Euro night crawlers have many benefits from a farming standpoint. They enjoy being close to other worms, compost food very fast and are very easy to raise. Dew worms hate being near other worms and are very hard to raise in a closed environment. They don't compost at all really compared to other smaller composting worms.
Old 03-05-2024, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egymcara View Post
Worms are not native to north america actually. Euro night crawlers have many benefits from a farming standpoint. They enjoy being close to other worms, compost food very fast and are very easy to raise. Dew worms hate being near other worms and are very hard to raise in a closed environment. They don't compost at all really compared to other smaller composting worms.
Do you have any leads on where to buy them?
Old 03-05-2024, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom4 View Post
Do you have any leads on where to buy them?
I may be able to help you out, let me ask my friend first. He got me started years ago and its a really fun hobby.
Old 03-06-2024, 10:47 PM

Let me get this straight; you are asking for help in raising an invasive species that will never be released; right?
Old 03-07-2024, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jednastka View Post
Let me get this straight; you are asking for help in raising an invasive species that will never be released; right?
and we wonder why threads get derailed and off topic. I enjoyed all the comments up until this
Old 03-07-2024, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jednastka View Post

Yes I am. These are sold all of the time for people to use in compost bins.

Also a person can walk into the fishin hole and buy a box of European Nightcrawlers for fishing bait. That’s my intention is to use them for fishing bait because I buy lots of them.