Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-17-2012, 02:36 AM

Arrow 110 yard Archery deer shot, any input or opinions?

Outdoor Life questions the hunter’s morality. It was a 110-yard frontal bow shot that some see as incredible marksmanship and some have called an irresponsible stunt? “It’s hard to say how far the deer went after the shot, but from the looks of the shot and the deer’s reaction, it doesn’t look like they had much of a tracking job. However, the frontal shot is always one of controversy. If you practice this shot routinely and really understand the vitals of your quarry, then it can be a lethal shot and put game down quickly.” See the hunting video here with the long-range-shot.

http://huntervids.com/?videos=long-a...-doe-hunt-2010
Old 05-17-2012, 06:29 AM

Not a shot I would've taken, personally. My skill with a bow isn't that good to be confident in the result.

Glad his was

Stupidity is taxable and sometimes I get to be the collector.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:39 AM

A frontal shot on any big game animal with a bow is questionable at any distance.. at 110 yds it is totally irresponsible I don't care who you are or how good a shot you are .
Old 05-17-2012, 07:10 AM
Banned

lol, not even going to watch the vid but hard to comment on a guys skill if you don't know or ever shot with him, lots of todays boys have more speed and energy at 100 yrds than bows had at the muzzle only 6 years ago...so a stout bow now at 100 yrds would 'end to end' a deer pretty easy

all i can say is its totally up to the guy behind the wheel, if he's talented and felt comfortable, i'm not judging, you can't kill it if you don't shoot at it and very few people would be comfortable with that shot...but i have no doubt there are those talented/practiced enough that in good conditions could make that shot more times than not...

would that be any different than a 700 yrd shot with a rifle?

i say don't hate, congratulate! lets be positive to fellow hunters
Old 05-17-2012, 07:20 AM

Default stupid

this is a irresponsible shot. I don't care how much you practise with your bow. 110 yards is out of limit. The worst part is to have a wounded animal running around with a arrow in its belly. They should never promote this type of story to anyone. Now, everyone think it is ok to shoot at a deer with a bow at that range !!!! what a joke !!
it is ok if you are shooting at a target but not a live animal. Do you know how long it takes for a arrow to get to the animal at that range ??? Anything could happen during the arrow flight. The deer could easily make one step ahead and you will get a gut shot. Archery hunting is not just able shooting at animals. it is about ethic and respect.
What!! congradulation and not hate ??? for what !??
Old 05-17-2012, 07:29 AM

That shot on a 3D target would be very good shooting - if he can do it consistently it would be phenomenal shooting!

However on a living animal I wonder how repeatable this would be? What percentage would be wounded by shooter inconsistency? What percentage would jump the string? These things can happen at any range but the chance just increases exponentially when stretched.

The hunter with accumen then asks not wether he thinks he can maybe pull it off but if he honestly thinks he could do it everytime with the lowest probability of mistakes and mishaps....
Old 05-17-2012, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post

i say don't hate, congratulate! lets be positive to fellow hunters
You should get that slogan put on a t-shirt....we could make it the new AO membership shirt!!
Old 05-17-2012, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
You should get that slogan put on a t-shirt....we could make it the new AO membership shirt!!
Yeah, right on. Great shot!
Old 05-18-2012, 03:55 AM

Cant please everyone thats just a fact of life THAT WAS A Great shot makes me want to try it maybe someday.
Thanks for shareing
Old 05-18-2012, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by last minute View Post
Cant please everyone thats just a fact of life THAT WAS A Great shot makes me want to try it maybe someday.
Thanks for shareing
Sure go ahead and try it .. then let us all know how you feel when things go bad . Oh , and don't forget to post the video .
Old 05-18-2012, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Sure go ahead and try it .. then let us all know how you feel when things go bad . Oh , and don't forget to post the video .
No problem i will
Old 05-18-2012, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by last minute View Post
No problem i will
I will try it , or I will let you know how I feel when things go bad , or I will post video of all of the above ... LOL .
Old 05-18-2012, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Defending this kind of gamble pretty clearly shows a person doesn't give a rats ar$e about how it might feel to gut shoot that deer.

To watch us sometimes, you'd think we were mad at these animals.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twobucks View Post
Defending this kind of gamble pretty clearly shows a person doesn't give a rats ar$e about how it might feel to gut shoot that deer.

Posting something like this clearly shows that you just want to argie about something that you think is wrong.

However, to think that a person doesn't care about gut shooting an animal - ANY animal hows just how little you know but that you think that you are above those that you disagree with.

Many people who are against this shot think NOTHING of shooting coyotes or other varmints - gophers included , at long range, and think nothing of killing a wolf but leaving its cubs if they cannot kill them at the same time.

Where in the law does it make THAT right?
I think I've had enough of this argument, because there is no resolution to it.
Anybody who want to give a smart Alec remark back to this post about my ethics on hunting , shooting sub gauge guns, or anything else they do not agree with that I do can go right ahead, it won't be answered by me.
Have a great day and hunt safe.......
Cat
Old 05-19-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Posting something like this clearly shows that you just want to argie about something that you think is wrong.

However, to think that a person doesn't care about gut shooting an animal - ANY animal hows just how little you know but that you think that you are above those that you disagree with.
Cat
Cat - I generally enjoy and appreciate your posts, but I have to disagree here. It's not my intention to have some angry mud-slinging match with you or anyone, but a puff of wind or a shift of weight or half a step by that deer and it's an ugly hit. I don't see how it's not a gamble, even for the very best archers. And a willingness to take any gamble is a willingness to accept losing, and in a case like this, losing is very possibly a badly hit deer.

But I think we agree on this much: whenever this subject comes up there's little discussion. It's almost all argument. And that's unfortunate.

Best,

2B
Old 05-19-2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twobucks View Post

xactly , thats why I would never try it .
Old 05-18-2012, 06:43 AM

Everyones going to have there opinion on it if he practices a lot and is confident in the shot congrat him, who would you trust more a guy who practises those distances for hours or a yuppie with a rifle who can't shoot and wounds and gut shots everything? Or head shots even but they'll always happen I peronally won't shoot past 60 yards with a bow
Old 05-18-2012, 06:50 AM

Ok just my two cents. Not a shot I would make as I would not be comfortable with it. Hunter's make choices everyday in the field. Personally I do not take low percentage shot's anymore. I took one and did not like the results. Whatever shot you decide to take you have to live with the results. Dead Deer vs Wounded Deer.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:32 AM

It has nothing to do with the amount of time the hunter has put into practicing. Many can punch paper from that distance all day. And it has nothing to do with the lethality of the equipment. Hundreds of years ago, they were making longbows and arrow/broadhead combos that could punch through armor at greater distances than that. And you can't compare it to a rifle, or say that bows are so much faster these days, it has increased the margin on this shot. It is a crappy shot, and shouldn't be taken by any concientious hunter. The reason is, you have absolutely no control over what that animal does in the time it takes you to aim and release the arrow, and how long it takes the arrow to get there, which is a long time. If you are going to bowhunt, take the time to learn to get close to the animal. Otherwise, why not just rifle hunt?
Old 05-18-2012, 08:28 AM

Why is it that the guys I know that could probably make that type of a shot will never take it? They wouldn't even raise their bow's at an animal at 110 yards. And..... the guys that can't will try it?