Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-08-2017, 06:57 PM

Smile Elk hunting wmu402

I was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to help me out with some advice on elk hunting 402 this upcoming season. I plan on walking in deep on beehive but have no experience in this wmu. I hunt cypress hills regularly and was lucky enough to bag a 5x5 this year and now have the bug. I plan on hiking and camping maybe 5 days. Any advice would be appreciated and if needed could trade some hunting tips for cypress hills.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-08-2017, 07:09 PM

If you hike in for five days at beehive you will find elk, as you will be in BC
Old 01-08-2017, 07:28 PM

I shot my first elk ever up near beehive. Hope you have some help if you get one lol. It's big country. Expect other hunters up there. Horses are very useful. Maybe I'll see you up there some where. You can walk to BC border in a day. There are a lot of Grizzlies in the area.
Old 01-08-2017, 07:46 PM

Default :)

Thanks, I obviously didn't mean walking 5 days west.

Unfortunately I don't have horses but I do have 4 pairs of younger legs to help pack.. Plan on walking in and setting up camp then hunting for 5 days maybe a couple three times this season. Do the Bears give you much trouble back in that area? Using google earth, it looks like the north east slopes of beehive look like it can be glassed pretty good from up top. But like I said I haven't been back in that neck of the woods before. Only January and I am already excited about it !! Thinking may I will go and set up some trail cams and get familiar with the surrounding. I feel pretty blind planning a trip I have never been before and not crazy about the Bears but waiting 5 plus years for another elk hunt will not suffice.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:08 PM

I'm not joking when I say there are a lot of g bearS up there. My last trip was Oct 31. We seen five that afternoon. On the sheep opening two days we seen seven different g bears. They drop them off right where the road is washed out just after the falls. Beehive is straight west. We did see some elk though.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:20 PM

Default 😬

In your opinion, is beehive the area to hunt ?
Old 03-30-2020, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKILR View Post
I shot my first elk ever up near beehive. Hope you have some help if you get one lol. It's big country. Expect other hunters up there. Horses are very useful. Maybe I'll see you up there some where. You can walk to BC border in a day. There are a lot of Grizzlies in the area.
X2 .. a lot of Grizzly means a LOT of Grizzlies in there. Not a major problem, but be very careful! Some real nice Moose too.
Old 03-30-2020, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
X2 .. a lot of Grizzly means a LOT of Grizzlies in there. Not a major problem, but be very careful! Some real nice Moose too.
I was hiking back there on a well used game trail... yup all grizzly tracks, it was so worn that my boots werent even leaving marks. There wasnt a hoof mark at all on the trail either. All claws and pads.

I turned around and went a different place back there at that time.
Old 03-30-2020, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride View Post
I was hiking back there on a well used game trail... yup all grizzly tracks, it was so worn that my boots werent even leaving marks. There wasnt a hoof mark at all on the trail either. All claws and pads.

I turned around and went a different place back there at that time.
That area has one of the highest concentrations of Grizzly Bears in Albert, apparently. No end of problems for ranchers around there.

Grizz
Old 01-09-2017, 02:46 PM

" There is a sow with two cubs that has no fear for man."

This was my first thought when i read the first post.. She not very friendly and likes to hang out close to the trail

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-27-2020, 07:53 PM

Anyone having some luck in 402 or running into g bears???

Enviado desde mi SM-G973F mediante Tapatalk

Tags
400, 402, elk