Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-27-2008, 07:07 PM

Default Goose Hunting

I'm thinking of trying goose hunting. I want to go with my uncle who is an avid duck/goose hunter...I know he'd love to teach someone how to hunt, so I want to surprise him and get all my research and paperwork done ahead of time. I've never hunted anything, so I'm really lost as to where to start. I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction!
Old 04-27-2008, 08:09 PM

well first and foremost your going to need a shotgun that you can use whether you buy your own or borrow one is up to you. just a few tips, birds always have to land into the wind so you want to have the wind at your back, be atleast half a mile away from roosts when field hunting, bad calling is worse than no calling at all so its good to learn but bad calling can lead to flaring birds and a bad hunt, the typical J U or X shape spread is usually a good start then modify when if the field but you dont want the spread to have solid lines so have wavy lines
Old 04-27-2008, 08:25 PM

Mish, Pm me if you need some help with some of your questions. I'm an outfitter and could help you out and if you want to buy some gear I can see what I have and sell you some at a fair price and save you from buying junk or new gear and have a good time. It does not take much to get started and it depends on what you want to spend.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:54 PM

first you'll need to take your first time hunters test(u can take the course or just take the test, and then you can buy ur tags and all that stuff, then yu'll need a gun, and if ur incle hunts outaa a blind and doesnt have one for you u might need one if he doesnt ur fine and u just use his decoys, i enjoy hunting waterfowl more then big game cuz of the action all day long....in some of my spots i can limit out in a couple of hours with 3 other of my hunting buddies but can enjoy it at times when its slow
Old 04-28-2008, 04:32 PM
Banned

Get your hunter safety.
Then I would strongly suggest before buying a shotgun and gear (dekes, blinds, calls, camo, etc) that you sit in on a hunt or two and get a feel for what its like. You may find you don't like it as much as you originally thought and now you are stuck with alot of useless waterfowl gear. Or.......you might love it. Just a suggestion.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:52 PM

I'm sure if your uncle hunts alot he probably has everything you need for gear, and I'm sure he can do the calling. I would suggest hitting some trap or skeet ranges and practice on a few targets... learn how to swing/lead on a bird. Let your uncle call the shots, and learn why and when you shoot. THe only other thing you may need is some camo, or some nutral coloured clothing a nd some camo netting works well as well. any surplaus place should have both for cheap.... but I'd recommend tan colored for most field shooting setups... . some wear all white.

But, if you want to buy a call, thats realatively cheap and not so hard to use, try an OLT... they seem to do the job fairly well. For a gun, if your looking to buy, I'd suggest something like a Reminton 870 express in 3". very versatile/reliable gun and with the interchangable choke tubes or barrels you can use it for many different styles of hunting or sport shooting. As for camo for birds, I'd recommend a desert pattern the tan should blend in with most enviroments. Or if you want to be more realistic find a grass or reed pattern. As for blinds... gosh there are so many different pop up blinds now... but I use camo netting, for the cost it is really the answer. I do agree that the sled style blinds are the cats meow for staying out of the dirt, but if its dry... you really dont need to go that extravagant right away.

WEll, no matter how you decide to pursue the mighty goose... Have fun.... keep the wind at your back and 'TAKE EM!