Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-21-2015, 12:31 PM
Banned

Default Saddle hills Elk wonderland!

Come one come all!!! The greatest place on earth! Join the crowds and watch as the amazing bull dances around a dozen hunters flinging arrows and bullets within inches of his head! Will he escape unharmed? Only time will tell!

Don't miss your spot! Book a seat today and be amazed at the skills of unskilled marksmen! Trucks lifted so high they are taller then trees!!!

Leases full of folks from places far and wide! Like Calgary! Edmonton! And red deer!!! What a show it will be!!!!

Remeber to hate on locals! Tresspassers! And always drive past parked trucks honking your horn!!! The joys of the season are almost among us!!!
Old 08-21-2015, 12:33 PM
Banned

Darn it... There was supposed to be a poll on who's going to saddle hells for elk season.

I'll be around, from Gundy to teepee I make my home.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:50 PM

Hunt harder and smarter and shed less tears.
Old 08-21-2015, 01:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBFK View Post
Hunt harder and smarter and shed less tears.
Harder and smarter!!!!!

That's umpossible!
Old 08-21-2015, 01:38 PM

See yah there in a few weeks
Old 08-21-2015, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertadeer View Post
Come one come all!!! The greatest place on earth! Join the crowds and watch as the amazing bull dances around a dozen hunters flinging arrows and bullets within inches of his head! Will he escape unharmed? Only time will tell!

Don't miss your spot! Book a seat today and be amazed at the skills of unskilled marksmen! Trucks lifted so high they are taller then trees!!!

Leases full of folks from places far and wide! Like Calgary! Edmonton! And red deer!!! What a show it will be!!!!

Remeber to hate on locals! Tresspassers! And always drive past parked trucks honking your horn!!! The joys of the season are almost among us!!!

Must be why the Natives from there, come to the Ya Ha Tinda to hunt Elk.

Grizz
Old 08-21-2015, 01:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Must be why the Natives from there, come to the Ya Ha Tinda to hunt Elk.

Grizz
Ha, probably cause the Natives from high level kick them out...

We get a few Northen native camps every year. Right around sept 5-16.
Old 08-21-2015, 02:03 PM

Quote:

lol !!! That's awesome
Old 08-21-2015, 02:13 PM

Ha,ha, too true,

And what tales of wonder will the season hold!

I have friends north of Highway 49 near the BC border and the first two weeks of the season are like a firefight up there, only things missing are the para-flares and medevac choppers

Good luck to everyone, stay safe and please leave the Elmer Fudd routine back in the big city
Old 08-21-2015, 02:23 PM

Never heard of saddle hills before this thread. Might have to gather up the boys and head up there for a week. Thx. Is there a general season for the area? What gun should I bring...30-06 or .308? Thx again for shedding light to the area.
Old 08-21-2015, 02:28 PM

You are a funny man talking moose, hahaha.
cheers
Goose
Old 08-21-2015, 02:33 PM

All joking aside the area does hold some elk, but they get absolutely pounded every year. I bow hunted it last year because we were working out at the Trapline and it wasn't too busy. Once rifle season opened we headed out after day one. We ran into at least 4 or 5 groups on quads that had bugles hanging around their necks well before noon. Of course they were all just scouting out the area, with their rifles of course in tow, but they weren't actually hunting lol Although they did admit they weren't getting any response to their bugles lol
The funny part is they drive past Rocky, Hinton, Grande Cache and south of GP to come and hunt the biggest elk gong show in the province. (Next to Suffield I guess now) All those other areas are huge bush with very little pressure if you get off the roads. Makes me laugh every year
Old 08-21-2015, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
All joking aside the area does hold some elk,. ut they get absolutely pounded every year. I bow hunted it last year because we were working out at the Trapline and it wasn't too busy. Once rifle season opened we headed out after day one. We ran into at least 4 or 5 groups on quads that had bugles hanging around their necks well before noon. Of course they were all just scouting out the area, with their rifles of course in tow, but they weren't actually hunting lol Although they did admit they weren't getting any response to their bugles lol
The funny part is they drive past Rocky, Hinton, Grande Cache and south of GP to come and hunt the biggest elk gong show in the province. (Next to Suffield I guess now) All those other areas are huge bush with very little pressure if you get off the roads. Makes me laugh every year
True. I guess nobody on the internet brags about Cynthia lodgepole area. Only a two hour trip from Edmonton. Those guys know how to keep a secret I guess.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:11 AM

Quote:
the biggest elk gong show in the province. (Next to Suffield I guess now)
I can't comment on that area as I've never been there, but if you want a gong show, come hunt late cow elk in 312, 20 miles from Calgary city limits. Cranky landowners (can't blame them in a way), high pressure. Folks driving around and around, passing other hunters, every second truck full of camo. I once set up on a quarter section and realized two other groups had set up on same quarter, with other trucks driving by.
Old 09-19-2015, 01:12 PM

Quote:
I don't know about all the areas you mentioned, but south of GP gets huge hunting pressure as well, even well off the roads. Maybe not like Saddle Hills (I have a friend who has land that backs right up to Crown there, and I don't even bother going anymore even though it is posted Private)....it's getting so I don't hardly want to go out the first couple weeks anymore, without wearing some body armor and ballistic plates.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 08-21-2015, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Never heard of saddle hills before this thread. Might have to gather up the boys and head up there for a week. Thx. Is there a general season for the area? What gun should I bring...30-06 or .308? Thx again for shedding light to the area.
I thought I taught better than that. Take both. Long range and short range. Lol
Old 08-21-2015, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwestalta View Post
I thought I taught better than that. Take both. Long range and short range. Lol
Think I'll bring the 06.... Elk are big. 20% larger case will hit 20% harder. It's math.
Old 08-21-2015, 02:57 PM

Quote:

Yea and don't forget to shoot every whitetail deer you come across too, they're a gawd dam pest, they pretty much eat all the grass. Death to mama buck and her little brothers.
Old 08-21-2015, 04:32 PM

I'm happy the Saddle Hills has that catchy ring to it because it keeps the masses huddling up around there and free from other areas!

However, it is funny to chat with the size 46 waist-liners sporting "Bone Collector" and "Buckmark" stickers everywhere a sticker could be stuck that haven't seen or heard anything for days....and then go on to bemoan the hot weather keeping them from rutting....
Old 08-21-2015, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon View Post
I'm happy the Saddle Hills has that catchy ring to it because it keeps the masses huddling up around there and free from other areas!

However, it is funny to chat with the size 46 waist-liners sporting "Bone Collector" and "Buckmark" stickers everywhere a sticker could be stuck that haven't seen or heard anything for days....and then go on to bemoan the hot weather keeping them from rutting....
What's wrong with the size 46 waist-liners ???

Fat people are people too
Old 08-21-2015, 05:43 PM

Quote:

They certainly are.
Old 08-22-2015, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon View Post
They certainly are.
There is just more to them.

Grizz
Old 08-21-2015, 05:45 PM

what calibre should I bring for Saddle hills elk 30-30 or 308?
Old 08-21-2015, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMPAGE View Post
what calibre should I bring for Saddle hills elk 30-30 or 308?
Tm says 06
Old 08-21-2015, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Of course they were all just scouting out the area, with their rifles of course in tow, but they weren't actually hunting lol Although they did admit they weren't getting any response to their bugles lol
I ran into a few of those people in wmu 358. My hunting partner questioned one idiot about carrying a firearm on his atv before noon, and the response was to F___ OFF , and mind his own business.

The locals are actually quite friendly, a local actually offered us a drink of rum when we met him around noon. Of course he was trying to rent us one of his cabins at the time.

I hunted the area for about ten years, but I have no plans to ever go back there for the general season opener.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 08-21-2015 at 06:00 PM.
Old 08-22-2015, 12:07 AM

Quote:

Are they too? Or are they two?
Old 08-22-2015, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoseto View Post
Old 08-22-2015, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoseto View Post
They are likely to not get off of the side by side or out of the truck to hunt.
But spend money on camo that doesn't match the seat covers.
Old 08-21-2015, 04:41 PM

Quote:

LoL....that's good...reminds me of wmu 108 in November deer hunting season.
You and your buds seem to always get one though
Old 08-21-2015, 04:54 PM
Suspended User

.... sounds like fun

Last edited by Rio56; 08-21-2015 at 04:59 PM.