Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-06-2023, 06:36 AM

Default Pine Coulee: fly rod or ice auger?

Has anyone been there recently. I know it only opened on April 1, but what should I pack for a trip on Sunday? Fly rod or ice gear?
Old 04-06-2023, 07:33 AM

Probably still solid,perhaps both.Let us know what you see.
Old 04-06-2023, 07:59 AM

Over 30 inches of ice at most lakes so won't be open water fishing early this year.
Old 04-06-2023, 08:50 AM

With the warm weather and wind I assume the ice is most likely not safe at the shore.

Best to wait a few weeks and see. If you are itchn to fish then try Spray it usually stays froze well into late April.
Old 04-06-2023, 09:58 AM

Open water under the bridge.
Other place still ice.
Near the bridge it was 7.5" ice @ 14' deep on Apr 1, not super hard ice (or maybe my auger was too sharp).
Didn't try to move more closer to the open water. Some far away place was at 11" of ice if I remember correctly.
Old 04-06-2023, 11:48 AM

Thanks for the info everyone. I was gonna hit Stay, but the wind is supposed to be brutal up there on Sunday (shocker!)

I figured the seasonal closure of Pine Coulee was to limit ice fishing on there. Or is it to do with the spawn you think?
Old 04-06-2023, 02:46 PM

They are most likely thinking it is going to be a tropy trout lake thus the 50cm min on trout. Don't think there are too many of that size just yet.

Most lakes designated trout trophy have a minimum length as well as early closure to stop ice fising.

A good example of the ice fishing closure once they designate it trophy would be Police Outpost south west of Cardston. Great small lake and fun to ice fish but that was cancelled with the change from Ap to Oct. open only same as they have done to PCR
Old 04-07-2023, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
They are most likely thinking it is going to be a tropy trout lake thus the 50cm min on trout. Don't think there are too many of that size just yet.

Most lakes designated trout trophy have a minimum length as well as early closure to stop ice fising.

A good example of the ice fishing closure once they designate it trophy would be Police Outpost south west of Cardston. Great small lake and fun to ice fish but that was cancelled with the change from Ap to Oct. open only same as they have done to PCR
And according to sources I've heard from Police winterkilled badly ...many deads seen on the bottom on opening day ...too bad the decision was made to not aerate as was done in the past,used to be ,who knows why the decision was made for a trophy lake . .

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
Old 04-07-2023, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
And according to sources I've heard from Police winterkilled badly ...many deads seen on the bottom on opening day ...too bad the decision was made to not aerate as was done in the past,used to be ,who knows why the decision was made for a trophy lake . .

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
Most likely local fish and game groups same as what happened at Keho. Fly fisherman mainly from Lethbridge could not stand the thought of any local seniors ice fishing. Only time they could without a boat cause of the weeds.

I spent many fun hours on that little lake caught several large trout but could count on one hand the numer of 50cm. Always thanked them for the fight and sent them back. My brother in laws favorite lake and he passed away there right after tying his boat onto the roof of his truck canapy RIP Earnie
Old 04-08-2023, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post

There’s lots in there that size,,,Gerard’s
Old 04-08-2023, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims83cj5 View Post
Pics? Saw 2 after they stocked it, but sounds like they were broodstock.
Old 04-10-2023, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims83cj5 View Post
Gerards...
now that there is funny.
Old 04-06-2023, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxxiD View Post

I figured the seasonal closure of Pine Coulee was to limit ice fishing on there. Or is it to do with the spawn you think?
It's closed because someone or some organization thought it should a "trophy" lake and somehow it got through the regulation and consultation process.
Old 04-06-2023, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kouleerunner View Post
It's closed because someone or some organization thought it should a "trophy" lake and somehow it got through the regulation and consultation process.
^This.