Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 07-18-2014, 11:45 AM

Default F and W

Another great post about F and W. My buddy just went in to get his trapping license 20 min before lunch and wouldn't let him write the test because it is too close to lunch. WTF.
That with the botched job of taking 4 months to get the paperwork done and a lot of BS for my tramline purchase it makes me shake my head lol
Old 07-18-2014, 11:49 AM
Gone Hunting

Snivel servants.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 07-18-2014, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Another great post about F and W. My buddy just went in to get his trapping license 20 min before lunch and wouldn't let him write the test because it is too close to lunch. WTF.
That with the botched job of taking 4 months to get the paperwork done and a lot of BS for my tramline purchase it makes me shake my head lol
So buddy expected civil servant to give up lunch for him, or taxpayers to pay overtime so he could write his exam when he wanted to? Why didn't he just come in 5 minutes before closing and ask to write his test? If I was going to have to write a test for something, I'd ask when i should come to write the test.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:06 PM

HAHA you guys rock. I expected a comment like that from you Okie. If it were me I would have let the guy write the test and asked my boss if it went into the lunch hour that it would be okay to extend my lunch. Why would you turn a guy around that drove across town or out of town to come do a 30 min test?
Old 07-18-2014, 12:39 PM

Quote:
HAHA you guys rock. I expected a comment like that from you Okie. If it were me I would have let the guy write the test and asked my boss if it went into the lunch hour that it would be okay to extend my lunch. Why would you turn a guy around that drove across town or out of town to come do a 30 min test?
You don't know what the other person had planned. Maybe he had other things to do beside babysit your buddy. Trapping Regs and the ATA website both advise to "Call to make an appointment to take the exam". If I chose not to do that, I wouldn't go around complaining that I wasn't acommodated and blame someone else. I guess you're right, that's just me.
Old 07-18-2014, 01:05 PM

Ya I guess I am too old fashioned and would got he extra mile or take one for the team kinda guy. There were 2 officers and one front desk lady from what my buddy saw in the office. I just thought it wouldn't take much for one of them to pend an extra 10 or 15 min in the office and delay the lunch a bit is all.
Old 07-18-2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Ya I guess I am too old fashioned and would got he extra mile or take one for the team kinda guy. There were 2 officers and one front desk lady from what my buddy saw in the office. I just thought it wouldn't take much for one of them to pend an extra 10 or 15 min in the office and delay the lunch a bit is all.
Union / civil servant - the clock hits 12 and you hear the pinging of the wrenches hitting the floor. I'm old school too and would agree one of them could have delayed their feeding for 15 minutes to help a guy out.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:18 AM

Quote:
You would think that with that much staff they would alternate time they take for lunch....after all a lot of people try to do business at this time! Don't see the other business like post office or banks closing!!
Old 07-22-2014, 11:15 AM

Quote:
agreed that it would be nice if everybody went " above and beyond " now and then , but in some cases that doesn't always work.

Case in point , if one gives equal time to both sides of the issue , it can perhaps look like this....
If that officer were to stay/postpone his lunch hour , to make time for somebody that should or shouldn't know to be there then , and takes his lunch hour a half hour late , then what happens to the guy that knows to come in a 1 o-clock and is told that the officer won't be back for 30 or so minutes because he bent the rules for someone else.
If you were that guy, following the rules , how would you feel ?

Not picking a side ... just trying to see both sides ...

My thoughts , maybe not yours
Old 07-18-2014, 12:07 PM
Banned

Twenty minutes before lunch isn't exactly the best time to drop in, Nube. I've had good luck with my dealings with F&W regarding trapping issues but I scheduled a specific time to write my test in Barrhead.

I had some questions about trapping in the Stony Plain district so I dropped into the office one day. There were no Officers there so I wrote a note and that afternoon I had an email with my answers and attached documents. When I thanked the Officer and commended him on how fast he got back to me he said that he wanted to get my note off of his desk asap so he could tackle more pressing matters. Cudos to him!
Old 08-24-2014, 12:21 PM

I would have stayed a little longer but I enjoy delayed breaks. Makes the day seem shorter when you get back from them