Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-08-2012, 06:46 AM

Default Construction site on Hiway 16

I started a job on Hiway 16 on Sunday, just east of Maidstone. Traffic is down to one lane, cones are out, narrowing the traffic stream and signs saying 60 when passing workers. You know, the usual stuff.

The RCMP have decided to use this spot yesterday for a radar trap. They were catching people for speeding, seatbelts, and cell phone use.

Catch of the day was an suv doing 134 in a 60.

The lord must love idiots cuz he sure made a lot of them.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
I started a job on Hiway 16 on Sunday, just east of Maidstone. Traffic is down to one lane, cones are out, narrowing the traffic stream and signs saying 60 when passing workers. You know, the usual stuff.

The RCMP have decided to use this spot yesterday for a radar trap. They were catching people for speeding, seatbelts, and cell phone use.

Well be careful.

134 in a 60!

What a douche!

There sure are a lot of em out there..I went through an intersection on Manning the other day...90 km per hour....thats 10 faster than the law allows.

Had a guy start to outside pass me in the intersection them complete it as cars were trying to merge.
He must have been going about 120...he was flying.

In a rush to get to the next red light a few hundred yards down the pipe I guess.
It was all I could do not to hit the park break and go tap on his glass.

Too much mud on his plate to call it in.... I need a dash camera.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:

Speed fines double in construction zones, LOL. Gonna be close to $1000 if not a court apperance and licence suspended by the judge.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
Speed fines double in construction zones, LOL. Gonna be close to $1000 if not a court apperance and licence suspended by the judge.
The constable I talked to was saying an $800 fine for the speeding, the vehicle was seized, criminal charges of dangerous driving were to be laid, and when he got his suv back was up to the Hiway Traffic Board. I saw the police give him, his wife, kids, and luggage a ride some where and I dont think she was happy.

I wouldnt mind seeing the radar trap back, cuz there are still speeders.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:58 AM

Quote:
The constable I talked to was saying an $800 fine for the speeding, the vehicle was seized, criminal charges of dangerous driving were to be laid, and when he got his suv back was up to the Hiway Traffic Board. I saw the police give him, his wife, kids, and luggage a ride some where and I dont think she was happy.

I wouldnt mind seeing the radar trap back, cuz there are still speeders.
Good for the guy and anyone else speeding in construction zones!!!!!

I worked on the highways doing materials testing and had several very close calls and even seen a few accidents. Worst one was flag person had a vehicle stopped and a 5 ton service truck plowed into the back of the first vehicle (1ton Ford Econoline van). Crumpled up to the front seats, driver had broken nose and arm, his wife is a quadriplegic (they had 5-7 children-one a baby- thank God not in the van then) and the flag person was wiped out and pretty much had their whole insides laying beside them on the pavement - the person lived (and I bet its not a very easy pain-free life now).

I say criminal charges, jail, HUGE FINES and lawsuits for these disrespectable people.

There is always highway workers killed each year b/c of the general publics stupidity.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:14 AM

I agree 100% in the same breath to many Kms of road are all signed off and no workers present so I think some people eventually get numb to the signs like people got numb to the kid who cried wolf in the fairy tale. Here again common sense goes a long way and there is no excuse for speeding where workers are present.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:58 AM

But as long as you take your foot off the gas you should be good, no? Because you had the intent of slowing down.

Sheesh 134 in a 60. Glad they siezed his car, there is absolutely no reason to be going that fast on any of our roads highway or not. I hope they hit him with every reasonable fine, suspension and violation they can get him with.

Now dont think I have the holier than thou attitude, I like DK, also speed where ever I go, eg. 122 on a 110 and 65 in a 60, but school zones, playground zones, residential and contruction zones are ones where I do not tolerate speeding.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganderblaster View Post
I agree 100% in the same breath to many Kms of road are all signed off and no workers present so I think some people eventually get numb to the signs like people got numb to the kid who cried wolf in the fairy tale. Here again common sense goes a long way and there is no excuse for speeding where workers are present.
I agree. It makes it hard to respect construction zone limits when the only way you can tell there is "construction" taking place is from the limit sign.
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasure. From that moment on the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most money from the public treasury, with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy followed by a dictatorship.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
fine doubles only when workers are present. in this case they were so i hope buddy gets bent over
Old 10-10-2012, 09:38 PM

After working a few years of road construction I am happy to hear when they set up in those areas....too many lives lost for people going too fast and not paying attention in construction zones.

I don't care who I pee off.....I always slow down to the limit in construction zones.

LC
Old 10-10-2012, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
After working a few years of road construction I am happy to hear when they set up in those areas....too many lives lost for people going too fast and not paying attention in construction zones.

I don't care who I pee off.....I always slow down to the limit in construction zones.

LC
i speed everywhere i go, except residential, school, and construction zones. there is no need to speed in these high foot traffic areas.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post

LC
X2...I do too..I worked as a flagperson on a bridge crew & had some close calls as well..

Just because the posted limit is 60 doesn't mean that you can't go slower...when someone goes past you at what is supposedly the speed limit, it seems much much faster...Slowing down saves lives!!
Old 10-12-2012, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
fine doubles only when workers are present.
Technically yes. However, if the "speed fines double" signs are visible, the fine-doubling applies, regardless of whether workers are physically present or not. And yeah, the speed limit signs for the construction zone are in force when they are visible, regardless of workers being present... But we all knew that, right?

Here's a document regarding fine-doubling in construction zones:
http://www.transportation.alberta.ca...Bulletin41.pdf

And, see the Cole's Notes version (construction zones are covered in the lower part of the page):
How to drive through construction zones and work areas
Old 10-12-2012, 08:25 PM

Okay, to the legal eagles on the site, if the sign says speed limit 60 when passing workers, is it legal to do hiway speed in the rest of the posted area if you do 60 when going past the workers?