Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-07-2011, 08:57 PM

Default a thread to express your feelings for c&r fish.

lets start with sturgeon?
Old 06-07-2011, 08:59 PM
Banned

Good post FH7.
Hmm, I don't target sturge but Goldeye are usually about in sturge waters, and I love catching them on the fly.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:01 PM

Good we now have a place for this......

I think if an effort is made to catch and release fish with minimal stress and handling then go for it. If a fish takes a hook too deep.....cut the hook off and let it go, don't monkey around with it out of the water for extended periods. Too often I see people "throwing" fish back.....releasing them gently is the way to do it....

LC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Hunter7 View Post
lets start with sturgeon?
i like to catch em...maybe a quick pic and send em on their way almost always better than they were before they met me.....except for frogs.

toirtis im sure would love to say something about this subject. what about if you fishing for cutties and a bull trout grabs your lure instead now what?
Old 06-07-2011, 09:20 PM

Default C&R

I use a catch and release tool which slides down the line and over the hook and with a quick push releases the fly from the fish. Most times you do not even have to touch the fish.

Rigpig
Old 06-07-2011, 09:36 PM

Default Trebles & Clousers

rapala cd's and original floaters c/w three treble hooks are responsible for the death of many trout each season. big hooked clouser patterns are no different. when ate by aggressive feeding trout treble hooks find there way back into gill plates fast. the way a clouser minnow is put together, weighted on the bottom the hook can and does bury itself right up into the fishs brain. we fish neither knowing this, and catch and release many healthy fish.

Dace
Old 06-07-2011, 09:53 PM

Even having used the barless trebles....they are hell to get out of fish sometimes.....I think I am going to try putting single in place of the trebles to see how this changes hook ups....

I am strictly a catch and release fisherman so I guess I am the most unethical out of the bunch....lol.

Lefty
Old 06-08-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Even having used the barless trebles....they are hell to get out of fish sometimes.....I think I am going to try putting single in place of the trebles to see how this changes hook ups....

I am strictly a catch and release fisherman so I guess I am the most unethical out of the bunch....lol.

Lefty
I'd suggest this to anyone, whether c&r fishing or not. I've gotten in the habit of removing any trebles from a lure and replacing them with single hooks. Not only are fish far easier to release (how do you take a hook out when one prong is in the top of the mouth and one in the bottom?) but I lose alot less than I did using trebles. The hooks seem to be set deeper than with trebles so they don't work themselves out as easy.

I've heard that with cranks you can remove one of the 2 hooks and not miss too many fish. I think it's the rear hook as fish tend to hit those lures from the side. This, however, I haven't tried so I can't confirm this one.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
toirtis im sure would love to say something about this subject. what about if you fishing for cutties and a bull trout grabs your lure instead now what?
No I don't think he will apparently it's more ethical to hijack someone else's thread...............
Old 06-07-2011, 10:26 PM

Quote:
bout six weeks ago I was targeting Bulls in Jasper using a rattlin' rap with trebles that still had the barbs on them..Park Warden came by and checked my license and said "Have a good day"..
Old 06-07-2011, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyJ View Post
bout six weeks ago I was targeting Bulls in Jasper using a rattlin' rap with trebles that still had the barbs on them..Park Warden came by and checked my license and said "Have a good day"..
SO you were intentionally using barbed hooks? or you made a whoops and forgot to mashed them down?

LC
Old 06-07-2011, 11:11 PM

Quote:
SO you were intentionally using barbed hooks? or you made a whoops and forgot to mashed them down?

LC
X2

Rigpig
Old 06-07-2011, 11:19 PM
Banned

im a c&r only guy. i dont have a hate for those who enjoy eating a few though. if i can avoid it, i wont even touch the fish....just lean out with a needle nose and pop out the hook. well except for the odd picture.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:31 AM

Quote:

LC
Yes I was and if you would know the laws then you would know that there is no barbless rule in Jasper as you need a Federal Parks license not your Alberta license.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Yes I was and if you would know the laws then you would know that there is no barbless rule in Jasper as you need a Federal

Parks license not your Alberta license.
Canada National Parks Act, General Fishing Regulations

When angling, it is unlawful to:

Fish without a national park fishing permit.
Fish with or possess within 100 metres of park waters the following:
natural bait and chemical attractants;
any lead tackle (sinkers, jigs, lures and flies) under 50 grams;
lures with more than 2 gang hooks;
a line capable of catching more than one fish at one time.
Fish with more than one line at a time.
Fish closed waters.
Leave a fishing line unattended.
Fish from 2 hours after sunset to one hour before sunrise.
Allow your catch to spoil or to be wasted.
Sell, trade or barter any fish caught.
Place live fish or fish eggs in any park water or transfer them between bodies of water inside (or outside) the park.
Place any food for fish in park waters.
National Parks Fishing Regulations

Fishing Permits

Anyone under the age of 16 may fish in the national parks without a permit if accompanied by a permit holder 16 years of age or older. However, their catch is then included within the permit holder's daily limit. They may also purchase their own permit and be entitled to the full catch limit.

NOTE:This brochure is NOT a complete listing of the National Parks Fishing Regulations and has no legal status. More information is available from park wardens and park information centres.

Definitions

Natural bait ban: you can only use lures made of feathers, fibre, rubber, wood, metal or plastic. No edible material, scented lures or chemical attractants are permitted.

Barbless Hook: this includes a hook the barbs of which are pressed against the shaft of the hook so that the barbs are not functional.

Fly fishing only: means only artificial flies may be used.

Artificial fly: this is a single or double hook on a common shank, dressed with silk, tinsel, wood, fur, feathers or other materials (no lead), or any combination thereof without a spinning device, whether attached to the hook or line.

Tributary: any water course which flows into another body of water. This includes a tributary to a tributary. Lakes are excluded unless otherwise specified.

Trout: for the purposes of this summary, the word trout includes char species.

WILDLIFE WATCH

Report suspicious activities.
1-888-WARDENS (1-888-927-3367)

apparently it is a recommendation not a rule

Last edited by horsetrader; 06-08-2011 at 08:53 AM.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Yes I was and if you would know the laws then you would know that there is no barbless rule in Jasper as you need a Federal Parks license not your Alberta license.
Seeing as how I don't fish in National Parks then I have never read the regs for those ares. Rest assured if I DID I would know them. Clearly you fish there.....so YOU would need to know the regs

LC
Old 06-08-2011, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Really, the lot of you seem to be functioning on a minimum of grey-matter...the point was specifically targeting an endangered, zero-limit species...not inadvertently catching a strictly C&R species whilst targeting another.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toirtis View Post
Really, the lot of you seem to be functioning on a minimum of grey-matter...the point was specifically targeting an endangered, zero-limit species...not inadvertently catching a strictly C&R species whilst targeting another.
HMMM..... Your point regarding targeting sturgeon seems to be your own personal ethical conclusion, not based in science.

The Canadian Science Advisory Report 2010 on the recovery potential assessment of Lake Sturgeon expresses no concern with catch and release fishing other than to promote sound handling and release practices.

In fact, Recreational Angler creel surveys offer the greatest source of information used in the management of Lake Sturgeon.

How quickly some "Scientists" put themselves on a pedestal.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:
LAKE STURGEON ARE NOT ENDANGERED...who is this idiot?
Old 06-08-2011, 12:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyreeUM View Post
Best to ignore him, he's new to the forums and has a habit of talking at not with members. We're all guilty of it from time to time but I honestly think that he/she thinks that before his arrival, we were all just walking into tree's, waiting for our messiah so to speak. There is nothing worse than having to qualify oneself in order to debate with someone "Am I worthy now that you know that I may have a degree too?". Full of boast does not go far on here, in my experience.

anyhoo...
Old 06-08-2011, 12:55 PM

Sturgeon Sportfishing
No sturgeon fishing licences will be issued.
Harvest opportunities have been suspended until stocks recover. Lake sturgeon limit 0 for all waters in the province
Old 06-08-2011, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyreeUM View Post
Actually, all species of sturgeon are at least threatened...world-wide.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Actually, all species of sturgeon are at least threatened...world-wide.
Every animal on earth is "threatened". It's called the food chain.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
It's just funny that low functioning people must start their rant with an attempt to degrade the readers to their level.....
Old 11-26-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
in alberta you release it..... lol....... there is no......" now what? ". simple.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
in alberta you release it..... lol....... there is no......" now what? ". simple.
but technically speaking or writing,,, you caught a cutthroat inflicted with bull trout on the tail,, or you caught a cutty that seemed to be partially gorged upon,,, because I think using live cutthroat for bull trout is illegal,, though the bull you caught on the cutty wasn't hooked,,,, "now what???" is a slippery slope indeed.

But to the original question, "what are my feelings of C&R fish?" well pending my mood, a fair amount of pathos with a sprinkling of drama,,, to add to the overall feeling I play a blues harmonica in a broody fashion and use phrases like Aw Shucks or Hotdiggiddy or both in succession or not at all,,,, to be honest, I usually exclaim hotdiggiddy when I release them into butter and lemon grass seasoning.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavMahler View Post
but technically speaking or writing,,, you caught a cutthroat inflicted with bull trout on the tail,, or you caught a cutty that seemed to be partially gorged upon,,, because I think using live cutthroat for bull trout is illegal,, though the bull you caught on the cutty wasn't hooked,,,, "now what???" is a slippery slope indeed.

But to the original question, "what are my feelings of C&R fish?" well pending my mood.
But in many places it does not matter what mood you are in, you could be wanting to keep the fish but many places are C&R, no matter how bad i would like to fry one up many places are catch and release.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGSH View Post
But in many places it does not matter what mood you are in, you could be wanting to keep the fish but many places are C&R, no matter how bad i would like to fry one up many places are catch and release.
REALLY?????

I rarely fish where the mood is strictly C&R and I find the company of fishing beside those folks a bit automatonical, I mean how many times can you listen to the stories about Gaddabout Gaddis or the Petunias Miss Penelope brought to potluck celebrating the new Well out by the old willow,,, I C&R with the intent of 1 for the pan. I don't target sturgeon, even when you could keep them, as the skillet required a forklift to get it off the trailer you towed it in on. Though I must say that I found the taste of sturge like chicken,, free range chicken, or free range chicken that fed on free range pheasant.

Last edited by Gust; 11-26-2011 at 02:45 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:40 PM

C&R all the way!
Love to catch em, but they taste way to fishy...:sHa_

Wish I could C&R deer...