Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-22-2014, 11:13 AM

Default bait pile trapping

I have had a bait pile out for about a month now, adding to it whenever it is gone. Last trip out i finally noticed some trails in the bush line. I did not set any of these yet as I wanted to wait to see if more trails develop. I am planning on setting it next trip out. how far back on the trails should you set? also would you only put one trap on each trail or multiple sets spaced out? seems to be both fox and coyote so far so I would like to target both.

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 01-22-2014, 11:51 AM

I would put a snare roughly every 20 feet going back I have done it a few times before to come back with coyotes in just about every snare
Old 01-22-2014, 01:12 PM
Banned

I'm really interested in this thread. I've had a bait pile for the past month that I haven't put any snares up yet so I'm wondering about the same things. I was out there a couple of days ago and I swapped the memory cards in a game cam that I set up. Yotes are coming in every night. There are several excellent trails that they are using but with the crust on the snow now, I noticed that they are starting to come from random directions. They are still using the trails though.

My area is a small patch of bush only about 6 acres large so I'm limited as to how far back that I can set my snares but I'm thinking on putting several on each trail starting from the farthest away from the bait where the trail enters the bush. From what I've read the yotes are more wary the closer that they get to the bait because there may be other predators there.

Hopefully I can gain some knowledge from this thread.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:34 PM

You don't want to put them to close to the bait or the birds will knock them down
Old 01-22-2014, 01:39 PM

I never wait to set my snares. I dump the bait and go from about 10-60 yards out from the bait and hang a snare in every spot I think the animals will come through. I add snares as I see tracks coming and going from the bait in the spots I miss. I usually have about 15 snares at a bait at one time. I find the thick bush and that is the best spot to put snares as there are less spots to walk around to get to the bait. Best night I had was a pack came in and I had 5 yotes all within 10 yards or each other and one on a fence crossing 100 yards away. It seems once one is caught the others come in real well as the caught one acts as a decoy. Why wait to hang snares. Get them out and working and add where you need to
Old 01-22-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
I never wait to set my snares. I dump the bait and go from about 10-60 yards out from the bait and hang a snare in every spot I think the animals will come through. I add snares as I see tracks coming and going from the bait in the spots I miss. I usually have about 15 snares at a bait at one time. I find the thick bush and that is the best spot to put snares as there are less spots to walk around to get to the bait. Best night I had was a pack came in and I had 5 yotes all within 10 yards or each other and one on a fence crossing 100 yards away. It seems once one is caught the others come in real well as the caught one acts as a decoy. Why wait to hang snares. Get them out and working and add where you need to
Another thing I like doing is drop a bait pile and hang the snares but leave them closed the yodies get used to walking pass them after 3-5 days open them all up and she's game on
Old 01-22-2014, 03:06 PM

Why wait to open them up? I was nailing them every day at my 2 or 3 baits I ran this year and just kept new ones going in the spots I was missing them. I got close to 20 at each bait in a month. It is easy if you got the right bush to do it in I had some that would see the snares and back out but I am sure I got them within the week as they wouldn't leave a a bait alone once they found it.