Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-21-2012, 08:40 PM

Default Random drug testing could become the standard on some Alberta work sites

What do you all think of this? Having to pee in a cup even if performing admirably with no signs of impairment? Maybe the police should just start pulling over people for no reason and have them pee in a cup or blow??

Random drug testing could become the standard on some Alberta work sites

Three major oilpatch companies will begin random drug and alcohol testing of their employees in a two-year pilot project that could precipitate a sea change in the way the industry deals with substance abuse in the workplace.

An independent group set up to study drug screening practices in the energy sector announced Wednesday details of a project that could see thousands of workers subject to random workplace testing as early as this fall.

The Drug and Alcohol Risk Reduction Pilot Project says participating companies will begin the pilot program in late 2012 and 2013.

Suncor Energy, Total E&P Canada and Canadian Natural Resources Ltd. are the first to have signed on.

While most major oil companies already use some form of drug screening, DARRPP is hoping to prove that random testing can be a significant deterrent to substance abuse in the workplace.

"We’re still seeing quite a few positive tests. We’re also seeing people coming to work with risky behaviours that aren’t appropriate ... and it poses serious risks to the individuals involved, their co-workers, families and communities," said DARRPP administrator Pat Atkins.

Suncor said it will begin random tests of employees in safety-sensitive jobs beginning in October.

The oil giant has hired substance abuse professionals for its Fort McMurray operations and is preparing to use a third-party service to monitor the testing program.

"We have identified pressing workplace safety concerns in the Wood Buffalo region related to alcohol and drugs," said a company spokesperson. "(Random testing) is necessary just to make sure that workers go home safely to their families at the end of shift."

In 2008, the Alberta Court of Appeal upheld the right of employers to implement alcohol and drug testing policies.

But civil rights defenders say random tests raise all sorts of difficulties when it comes to the rights and privacy of workers.

Random testing can be considered discriminatory if it isn’t justified, said Linda McKay-Panos of the Alberta Civil Liberties Research Centre.

Even justified testing can pose problems, says McKay-Panos, especially since traditional test methods are not foolproof and innocent workers are occasionally ensnared by inaccurate screening devices.

"It’s inaccurate, invasive and it violates the trust between employers and employees. There must be a different way to address the issue," she said.

Calgary-based Cenovus Energy says it has a policy of testing employees in safety-sensitive jobs before they are hired.

"But (testing) isn’t randomly done otherwise throughout their employment," said spokeswoman Rhona DelFrari.

"We do have a zero tolerance for people being under the influence of drugs at work. If anyone is suspected of being under the influence of drugs or alcohol at work, that staff member can be reported to a supervisor and that staff member will be immediately investigated."

DARRPP says that practices like this are not as effective as they could be at identifying at-risk workers before an accident happens.

The group points to industry data showing that close to six times more alcohol and drug abuse problems are revealed in substance abuse assessments after an incident occurs than in pre-emptive tests prompted by supervisor observations.

But at least those simple observation are less invasive and much less costly, contends labour advocate Gil McGowan.

"It’s an unreasonable invasion of a worker’s privacy, and in many cases we believe these kind of regimes contravene human rights legislation," said the Alberta Federation of Labour president.

DARRPP represents a group of industry associations and energy and construction sector companies, including: Building and Construction Trades Canada, the Christian Labour Association of Canada, the Oil Sands Safety Association, Construction Labour Relations (Alberta), the Progressive Contractors Association of Canada and the Construction Owners Association of Alberta.

The group says it will release the results of the pilot program in 2014 and that data gathered over the next two years will be used to build a framework for drug screening in the industry.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...183/story.html
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasure. From that moment on the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most money from the public treasury, with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy followed by a dictatorship.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:45 PM
Gone Hunting

Hello!!!...Random drug testing has been going on in non-union jobs for over a decade...???? what's the problem???
Old 06-21-2012, 08:49 PM

Default drugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
Hello!!!...Random drug testing has been going on in non-union jobs for over a decade...???? what's the problem???
I see it as a step in the right direction. Personally, I believe that in safety sensitive positions it should be mandatory !!
Old 06-21-2012, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Exactlly...don't do drugs and you have no worries..
Old 06-21-2012, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerb View Post
About damn time. My well tester friend told me about some guys that would do a few lines so they could stay up. Coke is apparently really bad in the oil patch
Well, that would be reason to test them.. but how about your friend? Assuming he isn't coked out and is performing his job, should he get tested whenever his boss feels like it?
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasure. From that moment on the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most money from the public treasury, with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy followed by a dictatorship.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyJ View Post
So would you be ok with allowing the police to randomly pull you over for a breath test? How about letting them have a quick peek through your house?

You got something to hide sir?
Old 06-21-2012, 08:58 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiantdi View Post
So would you be ok with allowing the police to randomly pull you over for a breath test? How about letting them have a quick peek through your house?

these threads are funny ....the guys that use always come up with arguments against testing... ON MY SITE WHEN I HAVE UPWARDS OF30+ PEOPLE OUT THERE PUMPING HIGH PRESSURE, I DON"T NEED ANY IMPAIRED PEOPLE!,,,thank you

Quote:

I have nothing to hide....do you?
Old 06-21-2012, 09:01 PM
Banned

Quote:

One little tiny step at a time. Drip, drip, drip, drip.

Heck, I'd wager there are members on this board that would be OK with the police knocking on the door and having themselves a quick walk through their house..."Just checking."
Old 06-21-2012, 09:05 PM
Banned

Quote:

Come on that's totally different. Its not like you lose money when you get drug tested at your work. You are working for a private company that has given you the opportunity to work for them. You are in their domain not the other way around. Its just part of the job
Old 06-22-2012, 09:26 AM
Banned

Quote:

This is a reasonable argument.
Banned

Quote:
Well, that would be reason to test them.. but how about your friend? Assuming he isn't coked out and is performing his job, should he get tested whenever his boss feels like it?
He already does I think.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Agreed! There is far too much rationalizing about drug use. "I can smoke a joint and be fine", "a few lines make me more alert". Screw that. Wanna do drugs? Fine by me. But don't expect the rest of us working folk to accept it.

[QUOTE=RedLabel;1489287]I've worked operating heavy equipment in the oilfield for many years and can appreciate both sides. Hal, I agree with safety first and I also agree that as long as "the man" is sending my paycheque "he" should have the right to test me, random or not. Especially when behind the wheel of 30 ton of iron.

My biggest fault with the current testing procedures is if my guys do coke or other hard drugs they're in the clear almost 24hrs after. Yet the guy who smoked a little grass in his off time is going to fail within an approx 3 month window.

The biggest danger I find regularly are alcohol related.[/QUOTE]

These are good points. Hungover people who can't function are dangerous but unaffected by random drug testing..
Old 06-21-2012, 09:38 PM
Gone Hunting

[QUOTE=canadiantdi;1489292]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLabel View Post
I've worked operating heavy equipment in the oilfield for many years and can appreciate both sides. Hal, I agree with safety first and I also agree that as long as "the man" is sending my paycheque "he" should have the right to test me, random or not. Especially when behind the wheel of 30 ton of iron.

My biggest fault with the current testing procedures is if my guys do coke or other hard drugs they're in the clear almost 24hrs after. Yet the guy who smoked a little grass in his off time is going to fail within an approx 3 month window.

The biggest danger I find regularly are alcohol related.[/QUOTE]

These are good points. Hungover people who can't function are dangerous but unaffected by random drug testing..
the above shows how little you know....do your coke or whatever and have a good day!!.....done with this......
Old 06-23-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
that's funny cuz every time a worker is killed or seriously hurt in Alberta, it's ALWAYS some redneck hillbilly non-union outfit gittin' er dun like good ol' boys yet what effect did/does drug testing have on these mouthbreathers ? none its just another way for the companies to fool the simpleminded into fighting amongst ourselves while they reap greater profits. It is funny how my father and grandfather and great grandfathers generation(s) built this province/country prior to the advent of superior technology(computers, etc...) or advanced employee training/testing etc.. and not one of these companys have ever gone out of business from the old way of doing work yet the employees of today ar brow beaten into near philosophical submission doing supposedly such a better job for less pay, P.S. juz cuz yous herd iyt iyn ah cuuntry songh duznt meen itz reel
Old 06-21-2012, 08:45 PM
Banned

About damn time. My well tester friend told me about some guys that would do a few lines so they could stay up. Coke is apparently really bad in the oil patch

Quote:
You don't think that there should be at least some suspiscion or cause before they force you to give them your bodily fluids?
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerb View Post
really????....your friend told u that???...not wanting to get in a psing match here, bit I have my doubts, they can try, but they don't last long.....I actually have the right to ask to have them tested.....if they refuse?...fine, pack up your toys and go home.....
Old 06-21-2012, 08:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
really????....your friend told u that???...not wanting to get in a psing match here, bit I have my doubts, they can try, but they don't last long.....I actually have the right to ask to have them tested.....if they refuse?...fine, pack up your toys and go home.....
Yeah I don't know anything about cocaine so I'm not sure how long it lasts. He just told me how him and this guy were driving to a site. Out of nowhere the guy starts cutting a line on the dashboard because he needed a "boost". Needless to say my friend got him fired. Apparently that was the third guy caught in the company
Old 06-21-2012, 09:00 PM

Default Drugs

I for some reason don't see the problem..

The problem I have always had with drug testing is:

guy #1 goes home for a week off, pounds back a jug a day, beats the wife, kicks the dog around a little etc etc gets tested all is good...

guy #2 goes home for a week off, smokes a little grass stays out of trouble gets tested and bam !!! FAIL!! you are one bad Mother******!!!

Stupid if you ask me and I'm not a pot smoker, I think if they were serious about this they could weed out the bad guys (hard drugs) and start in Downtown Cowtown where Cocaine is the drug of choice and used by many execs...
Old 06-21-2012, 09:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpheasant View Post

guy #1 goes home for a week off, pounds back a jug a day, beats the wife, kicks the dog around a little etc etc gets tested all is good...

guy #2 goes home for a week off, smokes a little grass stays out of trouble gets tested and bam !!! FAIL!! you are one bad Mother******!!!

Stupid if you ask me and I'm not a pot smoker, I think if they were serious about this they could weed out the bad guys (hard drugs) and start in Downtown Cowtown where Cocaine is the drug of choice and used by many execs...
That's why you legalize pot
Old 06-21-2012, 09:10 PM

Our field guys have been randomly drug tested for at least five years. Our clients require proof of negative tests to ensure our continued working relationship with them.

There is talk that office staff might be randomly tested starting very soon. I have a couple of friends who a chronic dope smokers, and I told management this. I was advised that the levels they're testing for typically exclude secondary exposure. In the event I do test positive due to secondary exposure, I'll just have to do a couple more tests (and maybe make some adjustments to when I spend time with my friends).

If they devise a test for sleep deprivation/fatigue . . . I'm doomed.

To be quite frank, I'm not willing to risk my own health and safety or the company's reputation due to a co-workers "recreation activities." If someone has a medical issue they're taking medications for, or a family issue that is affecting their ability to make sound decisions, I've got his/her back.

Edit: I forgot to add that our company drug policy includes alcohol. If the smell is seeping out of your pores on Monday morning, you get to have a "chat" with HR.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.

Last edited by DarkAisling; 06-21-2012 at 09:19 PM.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:11 PM

Quote:
I don't do drugs so my answer is yes...I would be ok with it,why wouldn't I?

And I'll ask you again...do you have something to hide?
I asked if you'd be ok with letting the police breath test you or snoop through your house randomly...

And you said yes.. holy crap.

I have nothing to hide. Does that make you feel better? When I asked if you had something to hide, I was mimicking what the police would say if you tried to refuse. doh!
Old 06-21-2012, 09:14 PM
Gone Hunting

The point being guys and gals, this has been reality for a long time in the real world, the said Oil Co's. now would like to carry it over to another one of their operations...problem with that???...they're paying the bills??? the unions are the ones screaming....hmmmm?
Old 06-21-2012, 09:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpheasant View Post

x2
Old 06-21-2012, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary K View Post
holy, its like talking to a wall.

It wouldnt save more lives, hundreds of people pass through a rig on a single day. one guy makes a mistake and they are all dead. searching a house is a huge waste of resources, and house searches not need be random, they know what to look for.

My mind is turning to mush reading your posts, im gonna bow out of this one.

P.S
Just wanted to let you know, random drug testing is not going to lead to random home searches.
I think that taking all sorts of meth labs down and removing huge amounts of crack and extasy pills outta young people hands would save lives.. you may not.. I don't care. your brain is mush.

I never said that it was going to lead to random house searches. It was a comparison. I'm sure you understand that though.

See ya!!

Quote:
I think that taking all sorts of meth labs down and removing huge amounts of crack and extasy pills outta young people hands would save lives.. you may not.. I don't care. your brain is mush.

I never said that it was going to lead to random house searches. It was a comparison. I'm sure you understand that though.

See ya!!
Your comparison is complete horse ****
its like comparing an apple to an orange.
Bottom line, when your buddy stops doing coke he'll be fine

good night
Old 06-21-2012, 09:46 PM

Default Testing

We have drug testing pre hire and random after hire. My take on the random is simply a deterent for those that may be users ( whether regular or sporadic) if they know when they will be tested they can simply not use for a length of time prior to testing or get the clean out kits ( not sure how these work, have only heard of them). However if it's random and your boss/manager tells you to go test in an hour you better be clean! I have no issue with it, I don't want my or others safety affected by someone that's impaired by drugs or alcohol. Our tests are for alcohol as well so if you suspect someone impaired by alcohol it applies as well!