Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-04-2012, 04:20 PM

Default Hunting on private or lease land.

Our ranch has been in our family for 127 years and we hunt Elk, mule deer, whitetail and bear(we being myself, brother and dad). I find it interesting how people think they can still hunt without permission. We let a few people in a year to hunt providing they let one of us know each each time they are coming, do not drive off our trails and do not leave garbage. I think that is reasonable as we dont want to go hunting in the same area as someone else and chance scaring away the BIG one or vice versa. Also ranchers lease land for a certain amount of years and is no different from renting a house or office. If you would like to hunt on leased land in my eyes you need to get permision from the one who is paying for it,cows or no cows. There is a very good chance that if you ask you shall receive.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:47 PM

Gotta respect that. Exactly correct.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boppers View Post
.... Also ranchers lease land for a certain amount of years and is no different from renting a house or office. If you would like to hunt on leased land in mye yes you need to get permision from the one who is paying for it,cows or no cows. There is a very good chance that if you ask you shall receive.

Just my 2 cents.
it is different, renting a house or office is private property,leases are public property that we rent to you,tennant!
Old 10-04-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
....you need to get permision from the one who is paying for it,cows or no cows.
don't need permission, users only need to meet the access conditions as per the Alberta Government website. cows or no cows,,,,hmmm I vote no cows.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:41 PM

Thats all fine and dady but who gets to clean up the garbage that is left from those disrespectfull hunters (not saying you are one of them). Its the one paying for the land. There is nothing wrong with someone going on a lease to hunt but the majority that I have seen leave garbage around and I know it is not my right to say yes or no you cannot go on there and I wouldnt do that but its gonna suck if I dont know your there and go riding through to the next field to check cows and spook your deer. Just saying that if you know whose renting or can see a house its not hard to let them know your gonna be there. Were all in this together so lets watch each others backs.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Thats all fine and dady but who gets to clean up the garbage that is left from those disrespectfull hunters (not saying you are one of them). Its the one paying for the land. There is nothing wrong with someone going on a lease to hunt but the majority that I have seen leave garbage around and I know it is not my right to say yes or no you cannot go on there and I wouldnt do that but its gonna suck if I dont know your there and go riding through to the next field to check cows and spook your deer. Just saying that if you know whose renting or can see a house its not hard to let them know your gonna be there. Were all in this together so lets watch each others backs.
I agree X10
Old 10-04-2012, 06:20 PM

Also there are very very few people who take the time to learn what fence is the lease boundary and where private land starts and then call us land owners jerks when they shoot a buck half a mile off the lease and we get upset. All it takes is a little common sence and curticy and there's no issues anywhere.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:41 PM

I find this very interesting. Whether or not there are cows on the leased land, it`s just common courtesy to contact the person before accessing the land. I really can`t see why anyone would be upset about doing that.

Sometimes I have to shake my head at some of the "arguments" made here.

Besides, usually the person who is leasing the land is an excellent source of information as well.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:11 PM

Quote:
we use a simple rule on our land it is walk on only. That way everyone knows who is trespassing.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:40 PM

I agree another landowner who thinks they own our land and think we should beg to use it to many of these people around.