Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-20-2013, 10:01 AM

Default What’s with used gun prices?

Why are most people trying to sell used guns for almost the same price as new or more? The same model and everything or even better an older crappy model for more money than the new improved better model

Am I missing something? Or is this just one of those unexplained Alberta things like buying a used truck for more than a brand new truck

I don’t get it, anyone understand why this is?
Old 02-20-2013, 10:17 AM

Default High prices

I have wandered around gun shows local and out of town for nearly 30 years. On many occasions I often wondered why some folks would go out of their way to travel all the way a different city and set up their display of overpriced used guns. What was even more puzzling was the next year seeing the same guy with the same guns with the same if not higher prices. It was exposed to me that most of the "deals" at a gun show take place between dealers BEFORE the show even opens to the public. The experienced traders earn all they need before the show starts and what is left on the tables can be held at those prices as it is not necessary to wheel and deal on them as profits for the weekend have been made. People snooping the gun shows see those prices and then go home thinking old Betsy is worth what they are listed for at the gun show. It's only when owners "have to" or "need to" sell do the deals come around.
My two cents.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:25 AM

My gun sure as hell wasn't a stonking deal. I thought at first that I was just spending too much because it was my first gun, but as time goes on, I'm realising that a *lot* of guys simply overprice their boomsticks. There are a few good deals out there, but I'd juts as soon buy brand-new than pay what some people are asking.

This doesn't seem to happen on the telescope or bass guitar forums. Pricing on used gear over there is much, much better.

I'll happily spend 2/3 of an item's new price if the item is in good condition. That seems to be about what a reasonable price is when you're not dealing with guns and such.

Probably the only English-speaking, French-Canadian lefty greeniac in Montréal with a 2008 Winchester M70 in .270. Probably.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:28 AM

They can ask whatever they want. If they find a buyer, good for them. But if they dont, they have to decide if they want to keep it or end up lowering the price. Market dictates what things sell for.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:37 AM

Having had tables at a number of guns shows I have seen a bit of trading before the doors open, but nothing to write home about, usually people are rather busy setting up their tables in the short and hectic amount of time allotted to do so. The pricing some ask is admittedly odd, but hey, it's a free country and they can ask whatever the market will bear. If the market doesn't respond and they don't make any corrections that's their issue, maybe they overcompensated when adding haggle room to their price. Maybe they just want to have a display table and to talk to other gun people.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:46 AM

If you are patient, and you know your prices, good deals can be found, but for every good deal, you will find some very overpriced guns as well. I buy and sell many firearms on CGN, and elsewhere, and it seems that there are some people that advertise the same guns for month after month without selling, because they always ask too much. After a while I got to recognize those names, and I don't even bother looking at their ads anymore. On the other had, some extremely good deals appear, but those guns usually sell within minutes of the ad being posted.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:42 AM

As far as use prices go If the gun is basically in new condition(only a few rounds through it) really any price cheaper than retail is a deal. The only screaming deals you will find is guys who need to get rid of a gun ASAP to pay for something else. Whenever I sell a used rifle I price it about 15-20% off of retail, but don't forget to include the cost of accessories.

Some people are truly out to lunch with prices. Just be aware of what everything is worth and if you get an offer that's out to lunch let the guy know you think he's a little high (in a courteous manner). Otherwise just move on and look for a better deal.

Good luck in your search!
Old 02-20-2013, 10:36 AM

There are good deals to be had on used guns but on the buy/sell forum here and CGN the prices are definitely inflated. I spoke to one fellow on CGN that had a Ruger Mini-30 I was interested in but he was asking well above retail for it. A lot of guys aren't motivated to sell but they put their used guns up just in case a sucker comes along that is willing to pay what they are asking.

My opinion: A used gun is just that. Used... I'm not willing to pay close to or full retail for something that has been used. I will pay a fair price and not try to low-ball someone. As a result I generally just buy brand new.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:25 AM

I've wondered about this myself and fair warning, you are about to get a whole pile of replies that say "if you don't like the price, don't buy it". That answer doesn't really get us anywhere so I won't give it.

I think there are a couple different reasons. For one, many Alberta gun owners don't live in the big cities. As a result, they are buying in local shops or paying shipping which results in higher up-front costs. Since I like to buy my guns on sale in the big city, I pay less up front and the used guns seem expensive.

The second obvious answer is human nature. Nobody wants to lose money on a purchase if they can avoid it. Therefore, people ask high prices in the hopes of getting the best price. I find that this tends to discourage buyers and doesn't usually work. That said, it could be a sign that the seller doesn't NEED to sell the gun.

Buyers do need to also take into account the availability of the gun. If it's a desirable gun, it may not be available. The old supply and demand rules actually do work.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:48 AM

Default Wtf

I had a guy that was looking for a single shot 22 that he wanted to train his dog. I told him he could have it for a case of beer. We miscomunicated a couple of times and I have not heard from him since. I would have given him the gun for nothing if he would have told me he couldn't afford a case of beer. I think that one was priced right. Worked out good anyway, I gave it to a guy for his young one that he was teaching to shoot.