Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-21-2023, 06:06 PM

Default The dark under belly of the woke

What a sad story. These people can be savage.

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/jam...s-from-suicide

Thomas Sowell
Old 07-21-2023, 06:23 PM

WOW --- what a terrible situation to place a respected educator in --- basically mocking him daily around his peers in an educational conference.

Simply tragic

The Toronto school systems is certainly getting a reputation and not in a good way.
Old 07-25-2023, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Tollers View Post
WOW --- what a terrible situation to place a respected educator in --- basically mocking him daily around his peers in an educational conference.

Simply tragic

The Toronto school systems is certainly getting a reputation and not in a good way.
And yet, those around him, his coworkers and peers did nothing to stand up for him against the board. Sounds like they all just abandoned their friend and someone they "Respected" when times got tough for him because he spoke truth. Rather than support him, they ducked their heads down and hid away instead of standing up.

They should all be ashamed of themselves and hope the guilt of their own back-stabbery eats them alive for years to come.

What a sad loss.
Old 07-25-2023, 12:23 PM

[/QUOTE] Originally Posted by 2 Tollers View Post

Simply tragic

The Toronto school systems is certainly getting a reputation and not in a good way. [/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Carnicero View Post
And yet, those around him, his coworkers and peers did nothing to stand up for him against the board. Sounds like they all just abandoned their friend and someone they "Respected" when times got tough for him because he spoke truth. Rather than support him, they ducked their heads down and hid away instead of standing up.

They should all be ashamed of themselves and hope the guilt of their own back-stabbery eats them alive for years to come.

What a sad loss.
I worked in a great environment then a change in leadership occurred. Very short order shaming of people became the norm. Special interest groups were formed -- one gender based was particularly viscious with fabrications and made up history. People that stood up were marginalized, reassigned and organized out. Good people that you had relationships with became fearful of losing their jobs as they saw the lay offs. I was the first person in the organization this happened to --- quietly people would say they could not believe how I was treated but would not step forward due to fear of job loss. A few years after I left I had people that were impacted after I left coming up to me to apologize on the treatment and wishing that things had been different.

Cancel culture when led from above at a VP level with the power to lay people off has a huge impact that can only be kept in check by a more senior level. This can go on for several years before organizational performance drops enough to be noticed by a board or shareholders.

Scary and very stressful
Old 07-25-2023, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by 2 Tollers View Post

Simply tragic

The Toronto school systems is certainly getting a reputation and not in a good way. [/QUOTE]

I worked in a great environment then a change in leadership occurred. Very short order shaming of people became the norm. Special interest groups were formed -- one gender based was particularly viscious with fabrications and made up history. People that stood up were marginalized, reassigned and organized out. Good people that you had relationships with became fearful of losing their jobs as they saw the lay offs. I was the first person in the organization this happened to --- quietly people would say they could not believe how I was treated but would not step forward due to fear of job loss. A few years after I left I had people that were impacted after I left coming up to me to apologize on the treatment and wishing that things had been different.

Cancel culture when led from above at a VP level with the power to lay people off has a huge impact that can only be kept in check by a more senior level. This can go on for several years before organizational performance drops enough to be noticed by a board or shareholders.

Scary and very stressful[/QUOTE]

Disgusting treatment.

Not surprising though.

The way I have seen people treated who have been in similar situations to what you’ve expressed, has been deplorable.
Old 07-25-2023, 12:56 PM

[/QUOTE] Disgusting treatment. Not surprising though.

The way I have seen people treated who have been in similar situations to what you’ve expressed, has been deplorable.[/QUOTE]

I think Sundance nailed it with

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
It’s like Lord of the Flies. Mob rules Rabid wild dog packs. Scary because it’s what’s tolerated in society now in political and media.
I smile now as the rabid dog packs in the end all recieved the same treatment -- divide, marginalize, demoralize and then lay off. I have spoken with people that were part of the rabid dog packs that in the end recieved the same treatment and never saw it coming as they thought as long as they supported the "new culture" they would be immune.

A person should not have these thoughts but I do admit it brings a smile when I think on the door hitting them hard in their asses on the way out.

I am aware of one organization in Calgary where a president saw this happening and stepped in. Reorg'd at the level responsible and brought the team back to a positive environment. She did a quick surgical response and what a quick change.
Old 07-21-2023, 06:26 PM

The result of weak, immoral people in positions of leadership.
Old 07-21-2023, 06:29 PM

I read this story. Tragic.

Don’t think Alberta schools are immune to this either.

Many small c conservative teachers I know walk on eggshells. Myself included. My opinion is that there is no room to discuss, much less question, the brave new world into which we have entered, at what would historically be considered breakneck speed. 8 years left. Can’t come soon enough.

The left are vicious and no more accepting of any true discourse than the basket of deplorables to which I proudly belong.

God

Family

Guns

Huntin Dogs

Fishin Rods

I’m a redneck and proud of it.

Ain’t changin for Trudeau or any of his crowd anytime soon either.

Actually diggin in my heels on my metaphorical, personal goalposts, on which the uprights are written: Everyone is Equal & No One is Special.

Hopefully, that gets me through to retirement without being hauled up on the carpet for inadvertently saying the wrong thing.

Last edited by sns2; 07-21-2023 at 06:48 PM.
Old 07-21-2023, 06:42 PM

Tragic irony. Hypocrisy at its finest.
Old 07-22-2023, 08:51 AM

A message from a guy that gave his life to challenge the Nazis.

"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act." Bonhoeffer

This is a reminder to me more than to anyone here. It's going to cost us to fight back. But our grandkids need us to fight back.
Old 07-22-2023, 09:44 AM

What the hell is woke, never heard the the word until last couple years?
Old 07-22-2023, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
WOKE

(adj) A state of awareness only achieved by those dumb enough to find injustice in everything except for their own behavior
Old 07-22-2023, 10:06 AM

This is a good example of why woke culture is so insidious. They are so persistent in their agenda that everyone who disagrees suffers their wrath. I would guess on every given matter more people oppose the views of the woke than agree but this is where disagreeing lands you. End up in a situation like this fella and you won't find any allies because everyone else is afraid of ending up in the same situation - mocked, ostracized or losing your livelihood.
Old 07-22-2023, 11:59 AM

Exclamation It has been culturally appropriated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
As pointed out by Bigwoodsman in a previous thread , the original meaning of woke is:
Quote:
Woke is an adjective derived from African-American Vernacular English (AAVE) meaning "alert to racial prejudice and discrimination".
The first documented use of the phrase "stay woke" was in the 1930's, when famous bluesman Lead Belly ended his song by advising blacks travelling through Alabama to "stay woke".

Now, it is more commonly used as a slur to denote "rabid leftist zealots mindlessly promoting their interpretation of political correctness with zero awareness of reality or unintended consequences". At least that is my interpretation of the word when it is used as an epithet.
That is why I prefer the term "well-meaning progressives".

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell

Last edited by urban rednek; 07-22-2023 at 12:11 PM.
Old 07-22-2023, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post

Many small c conservative teachers I know walk on eggshells. Myself included. My opinion is that there is no room to discuss, much less question, the brave new world into which we have entered, at what would historically be considered breakneck speed. 8 years left. Can’t come soon enough.

The left are vicious and no more accepting of any true discourse than the basket of deplorables to which I proudly belong.

God

Family

Guns

Huntin Dogs

Fishin Rods

Actually diggin in my heels on my metaphorical, personal goalposts, on which the uprights are written: Everyone is Equal & No One is Special.

Hopefully, that gets me through to retirement without being hauled up on the carpet for inadvertently saying the wrong thing.
No one is immune from this anywhere. Words have been blurred and weaponized. As in this case a simple statement of that "Canada wasn’t perfect, he said, but it still offers a lot of good." was weaponized to "white supremacy" and the beginnings of ruining this man's life.

During reasonable times, his words would have invoked some thought and dialogue but these days, it's 100% compliance or the pitchforks come out. It's a modern day Salem witch trials. People can and will seek out offence in just about anything when they try hard enough.

This idea of "diversity and inclusion" are just feel good words for "division and exclusion".

Being a brown Canadian I understand this completely. Some from my own community have disavowed me for being "colonized" and a traitor while lefties infantilize me by claiming that they simply can't believe that I could vote against my own interests by not choosing Liberals. They of course believing they know best of what my best interests are.
Old 07-22-2023, 11:04 AM

^^^ Very well said! I will buy you a drink if you get to Edmonton!
Old 07-22-2023, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
^^^ Very well said! I will buy you a drink if you get to Edmonton!
Thanks for the offer, I don't drink though perhaps a donair instead!
Old 07-22-2023, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporty View Post
No one is immune from this anywhere. Words have been blurred and weaponized. As in this case a simple statement of that "Canada wasn’t perfect, he said, but it still offers a lot of good." was weaponized to "white supremacy" and the beginnings of ruining this man's life.

During reasonable times, his words would have invoked some thought and dialogue but these days, it's 100% compliance or the pitchforks come out. It's a modern day Salem witch trials. People can and will seek out offence in just about anything when they try hard enough.

This idea of "diversity and inclusion" are just feel good words for "division and exclusion".

Being a brown Canadian I understand this completely. Some from my own community have disavowed me for being "colonized" and a traitor while lefties infantilize me by claiming that they simply can't believe that I could vote against my own interests by not choosing Liberals. They of course believing they know best of what my best interests are.
Not that I am surprised that a brown Canadian would say these things, but am appreciative that you mentioned your ethnicity, as it gives credibility and weight.

At least in my opinion.

Maybe you can answer me this. I have said to some friends that all this woke BS is gonna backfire on Trudeau because the Muslim and Brown demographic are as conservative as any when it comes to family values and societal mores.

Do you see your community becoming tired of it and saying they will vote for Poilievre in reaction to some of the more radical changes Canadians are seeing in terms of social policy coming from Trudeau and his cronies?
Old 07-22-2023, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Not that I am surprised that a brown Canadian would say these things, but am appreciative that you mentioned your ethnicity, as it gives credibility and weight.

At least in my opinion.

Maybe you can answer me this. I have said to some friends that all this woke BS is gonna backfire on Trudeau because the Muslim and Brown demographic are as conservative as any when it comes to family values and societal mores.

Do you see your community becoming tired of it and saying they will vote for Poilievre in reaction to some of the more radical changes Canadians are seeing in terms of social policy coming from Trudeau and his cronies?
Unfortunately, the fact is that in today's society, many people will vote for whomever promises to provide the most benefits for them personally, regardless of how it effects society, or even how it may effect their children and grandchildren. This is especially true for the woke, their own offspring may suffer, because of who their woke parents voted for. When the money runs out, as it eventually has to, the handouts for certain groups will cease, and that is what will convince some people to vote for someone else. The really unfortunate thing however, is that by that point, all but the very rich will suffer.
Old 07-22-2023, 08:46 PM

Quote:

At least in my opinion.

At the risk of not being here tomorrow, I will suggest that not everyone in that demographic will agree with you on the definition of "family values and societal mores."

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 07-23-2023, 09:52 AM

Quote:

At least in my opinion.

I can't speak on behalf of others like activists choose to do, but those in my circle have mostly always been Conservative voters. The loudest voices are activists who believe they have the right to speak on behalf of the majority and they drown out all other views.

The energy situation in Canada with Indigenous is a prime example. Many support the industry but certain media outlets will only highlight the anti energy groups, often led by non Indigenous activists suffering from "white guilt complex". Then you have the keyboard activists who sit all day on social media trolling anyone who goes against their ideology. It's these groups who will treat minority groups as though they're a monolith with a hive mind.

I'm Metis and a recent poll showed higher support for Poilievre by Indigenous than for Trudeau and lefties lost their minds. Accusing and attacking many Indigenous on social media who were in agreement with the polling. That was the point of my original post.

All minority groups are the same, they aren't a monolith and they're going to vote for whatever serves their best interests at the time. At this time though, even people who would normally be considered center right and center left have had enough of the division and exclusion antics by the radical left. Trudeau has taken the Liberals further left, away from it's roots and right/center groups are turning away. Then again, they're also now considered "alt-right" due to the moving goal posts.

Old 07-22-2023, 11:15 AM

Quote:

God

Family

Guns

Huntin Dogs

Fishin Rods

Unfortunately as teachers like you retire the kids are left in the hands of young indoctrinated ideologues.
I don’t blame you at all but Solzhenitsyn pointed out that our silence supports the lie. You’ve likely read “ live not by lies” -1974

Half the benefit of home school is to stop the damage being done by the system to vulnerable kids.
Old 07-22-2023, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancid Crabtree View Post

Half the benefit of home school is to stop the damage being done by the system to vulnerable kids.
This, we are not educating our children. It used to be we taught our children to think and learn. Nowadays we 'teach' them to believe a social script and not to question it..
Old 07-22-2023, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
This, we are not educating our children. It used to be we taught our children to think and learn. Nowadays we 'teach' them to believe a social script and not to question it..
It is happening in higher education as well. It used to be you went to university to learn how to think for yourself. No longer, now it is an indoctrination institute.

So many now turn their kids over to people who see themselves as equals or betters than the parents when it comes to raising kids.

Thomas Sowell
Old 07-22-2023, 04:15 PM

Quote:

God

Family

Guns

Huntin Dogs

Fishin Rods

You know my friend, those last eight years may go smoother if you commuted to a country school. We openly discuss hunting and shooting, even make the odd gun rack in shop.

I am a hayseed among hillbillys, and I couldn't be happier.
Old 07-22-2023, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riden View Post
You know my friend, those last eight years may go smoother if you commuted to a country school. We openly discuss hunting and shooting, even make the odd gun rack in shop.

It would certainly go smoothly. Wife was from a real small town though and she won’t go rural at this stage in our kids’ lives. Sigh. I’d go in a nanosecond.
Old 07-22-2023, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riden View Post

My kids go to a country school and unfortunately the woke agenda is being forced into their lives daily. As a parent if you say anything against it you are totally ignored by the staff and harassed by the very parents that are all for it. You know the type. They jump on every bandwagon that comes along.

The unfortunate part is that funding has been cut for a lot of practical programs that would help students prepare for adulthood but there seems to be unlimited funds for sports team name/logo changes and for lectures/assemblies by the alphabet gang.
Old 07-22-2023, 11:46 PM

It’s like Lord of the Flies.

Mob rules

Rabid wild dog packs.

Scary because it’s what’s tolerated in society now in political and media.
Old 07-21-2023, 06:52 PM

I personally find it distasteful to immediately begin parading a man's suicide for purposes of pushing a political agenda and getting clicks, especially when there appears to be only circumstantial evidence to suggest the motive.

My sincere condolences to the family.
Old 07-21-2023, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
I personally find it distasteful to immediately begin parading a man's suicide for purposes of pushing a political agenda and getting clicks, especially when there appears to be only circumstantial evidence to suggest the motive.

My sincere condolences to the family.
Do you know the man?

It’s in the national media for goodness sake.

His family released the statement to draw attention to it. Seems they want it not be forgotten, but brought to the attention of Canadians across the country.