Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-03-2008, 02:02 PM

Default How do you ask permission?

How do you guys ask for permission to hunt somebodys land? Do you go out in person, do you call on the phone, do you take you kids...? Just wondering what works best for some of you. Thanks
Old 08-03-2008, 02:11 PM
Gone Hunting

Get started now. if its a ways away from home, do it over the phone. Have your sh!t together, and ask about certain areas, ie, OWN A MAP BOOK and know what your talking about.

Take the kids... Well, what ever works for ya i guess,,, i prefer to stand up and look men in the eye.... Never woulda thought of that.

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 08-03-2008, 02:20 PM

Write a polite note on the back of a $20 bwahahahahaha, yep start now. I think my group is about to start contacting folks for our fall Elk campaign.
Old 08-03-2008, 02:30 PM

Smile

Quote:
How do you guys ask for permission to hunt somebodys land?
I like to ask them face to face no better way.If you cant make the journey Gas $$$$ Price etc.phone might work but have a little help around land owners place dosent hurt either weekends etc.ps shareing a bottle of their favorite drink dosent hurt.good luck like some have already stated state now
Old 08-03-2008, 02:40 PM

One guy I know of has been hunting on land near Calgary for 5 or 6 years now. In an area thats full of tree-hugging hippies, he still gets permission.

I've tried asking face-to-face in the past but without much luck.

From what i've heard, he had some business cards made up that he hands out.
One side has some sort of ethics stuff "we will respect your land, wont kill your farm animals, etc" (I dont know the exact wording).
One the other side of the card has his name, phone number, liscence plate, etc.

Been thinking of making up some of my own.

Chuck Norris and Mr. T walked into a bar. The bar was instantly destroyed, as that level of awesome cannot be contained in one building
Old 08-03-2008, 02:50 PM
Banned

I love crown land..
Old 08-03-2008, 03:22 PM

I dont waste my time or theirs, i get to the point. I act calm and collect let them know that i am responsible, and will follow any requests they have. If i know people in the area, or have permission from their neighbors, i usually mention it. I used to get so nervous, and start rattling off rr and twp #s. Then i learnt that a simple landmark is all most farmers need and prefer when discussing land locations. I always take the time to make a follow up phone call, thanking the farmer/rancher for granting me access. i also pick the times i ask, supper time is a no no. It is a part of hunting that i have come to enjoy; ive met lots of nice folks. Happy hunting everyone......
Old 08-03-2008, 04:41 PM

oops
Old 08-03-2008, 04:42 PM

Keep in mind most farmers get damned p!ssed about deer ect eating their crops and stuff. Most of them will usually gladdly let you on their land. Just don't ask about an area that is occupied by their animals. Most will even let you know where the bucks are that they see while working their fields.

My 2cents worth anyhow

DB
Old 08-03-2008, 05:10 PM

I ask with my perverbial hat in hand, and with total humbleness.
If you are a big burly sort of fellow try backing up and onto the next step when addressing the person who answers the door, especially if it is a lady, it does wonders for not intimidating them with your first impression. (thanks Bobby B).
The last thing I ever try to do is show up on a frosty November morning, dressed in my hunting cloths. Try the off season, and dress in a manner which is easily seen as main stream by the land owner.
Never lie, and always say thank you whether you get the permission or not.

There are no absolutes
Old 08-03-2008, 06:00 PM

I've only been in Calgary 2 years and have permission to over 5 sections in and around the bowzone, all from just knocking on doors. As above, don't sport the full camo look, and be courteous and polite no matter how they react. Most of my permission came from asking about coyotes and gophers. When they see that you're not an *****, they will usually tell you to fly at it for everything.
Good luck.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
If you are a big burly sort of fellow try backing up and onto the next step when addressing the person who answers the door, especially if it is a lady, it does wonders for not intimidating them with your first impression. (thanks Bobby B).
The last thing I ever try to do is show up on a frosty November morning, dressed in my hunting cloths. Try the off season, and dress in a manner which is easily seen as main stream by the land owner.
Never lie, and always say thank you whether you get the permission or not.
I do about the same thing, also I promise to share anything I kill, offer to help throw bales if that needs done,etc.
the people who invite me onto another's land are asked if the landowner needs a shotgun or rifle, handloads, carpenter work, etc.
Then it gets done, or in the case of firearms, gets offered as a thankyou gift, no strings attached!
Cat
Old 08-03-2008, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
If you are a big burly sort of fellow try backing up and onto the next step when addressing the person who answers the door, especially if it is a lady, it does wonders for not intimidating them with your first impression.
Thats my hunting party right there. Last year we got permission to elk hunt by the lady of the house because a couple of the guys got playn with the pup and me with the cats...we're a large intimidating bunch so this worked well up until we got a dry cow at opening light and scared the hell outa the husband who was NOT informed by her wife
Old 08-09-2008, 01:53 PM

Stupid question from a fairly new Albertan....

How the heck do you know who owns what?

Thanks.
Old 08-09-2008, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeelliot View Post
Stupid question from a fairly new Albertan....

How the heck do you know who owns what?

Thanks.
Things called County or MD maps, they show all deedable land and to whom the deed is held.

Available from places like Map Town, or the particular County or MD office.

They are not absolute, but for the most part get you close, a call to the
County or MD office can confirm ownership, and often provide a bit of contact information.

There are no absolutes
Old 08-09-2008, 02:05 PM

You buy a county map find out who owns what and then go door knocking I have Business cards with my info on them and another for the land owner to sign with a place for land discription and the dates I am allowed to hunt, it says that the land owner has the right to cancel permission at his discretion by phone or in person, vehicle access permited or foot access only. Most farmers like it. Like Dick says a humble aproach stand back and be polite even when it is NO! I say I understand and appreciate the time they have given me and that I hope they have a great day. On more than one occassion this has created a conversation that has lead to an ok maybe if its just you and you friend That said I have been told to ---- --- a couple times no matter how nice I have been oh well I get over it