Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-07-2012, 07:56 AM

Default Skinning-stretching-tanning on a coyote hide questions

So i shot a coyote the other day, I ususally give my pelts to the local guy whose family can use the extra cash, and to see them not go to waste. THis one i hung him later that day and skinned him, more to see the bullet fragmentation on the 204 Vmax.

Then i thought i should throw him on the adjustable wood stretcher, to not let the hide go to waste. Yes, i know fleshing is done at this time.

Skinning and taxidermy things are like the oil patch, there are different terminoligies that describe the same thing, leaving the unexperienced in the dark and this is my chance to ask and hopefully it will answer alot of questions for me, and rather than ask 1 question here and there i thought i would throw them alll together, and some other guys that are wondering the same thing, may see value. My next goal is to have a sticky on this board LOL The direct questions i have asked are underlined for esy reference. If you see any thing else to add please do so if it is relavent.

What is this process called with a pelt on the stretcher? Just "drying" the pelt?

I have read different readings on the net,Should the tail be split with a guthook knife, or is this not necessary? If it is, is it only required for tanning, not "drying"?

Ear cartilage, again mixed reviews on this, flesh as much as possible and skin as high as you can, or split. The best is?

Salting the pelt, should this be done for drying, storing in the freezer or not at all? I have heard mixed reviews on this one too,, as one guy i know said to not salt at all, for freezer storage. this to me makes kind of makes sense, as in the freezer at -23C, salt lowers the freezing point of water, which delays the freezing, and keeps the pelt warm, which of course allows the bacteria to survive longer, giving the hair more chance to slip. But i do know salt removes moisture, and acts as a preservative. So salt or no salt?

I skinned a coyote years ago with my grandfather, after fleshing it we put it on a solid (non adjustable board, which didnt let the air dry the fur, after about 4 days(if i remember,)he told me to flip the hide and let the fur be out. i did this and this cased hide turned out good. I am guessing that this flipping technique is not required with the adjustable stretcher now, is this correct? Other than the adjustable factor of this stretcher i made is it better for that reason?

How long does a "dried" case skinned fur last for, will it rot, or be ate by bugs if not tanned and boraxed? If shelf life is limited, how long would it be and what is required, tanning?

Will just Boraxing keep the pelt in a dried state and bug free if it was just hung on the wall like that?

So with this dried cased pelt, to tan it at a later date, what is required to do that, resoak it and throw it in the tanning solution?

So living in the "sticks" doesnt give me a lot of options on buying a tanning kit from a store. I see on the net there are different home brews for tanning a hide with brain, and house hold chemicals, or at least easy to get chemicals, from a grocery store, or Walmart. Does any one know these or do they even work?

Thanks in advance, i know there are more questions too, which of course will be asked at a later date.