Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-01-2008, 10:00 PM

Default Shedcrazy Sr's first Alberta Turkey!

Well I just got back from a short but great day of hunting turkeys down south.
It was everything you would want from a turkey hunt. Soon as we opened the truck door in the dark we heard turkeys.
It was a great rush walking in and setting up while the tom gobbled. It seemed like forever until we saw him though!!!!!
The decoy and calls worked as we got between two flocks of turkeys and within 45mins we had 4 hens all around us and 1 jake.
It was worth the trip then and watching my dad get turkey fever made it better!!!
The real excitement happened when while watching the hens I looked over and saw a big tom running at us. I tapped dad on the shoulder and said "here he comes" but so did another tom and at least 6 more hens. Shedcrazy sr started to shake and I said I will tell him which one..just get ready!!!!...I didn't really notice a difference until they got close and the big tom gobbled at 30 yards. An unreal sound!
There was no doubt the shooter so I told him the second tom once he came to the opening..which he did in full display. I think before I said take him he shot!
It was a great morning...It was better to watch dad get him then shoot one for myself. A hunt to remember...
I would like to thank WJ and family for the help!
SC
He has a beard just over 9"