Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-24-2012, 12:39 PM

Default Peace River Canoe Float ((Pic Heavy))

Hi everyone. Last week my wife and I spent four days floating on the mighty Peace River. We had an absolute blast. We paddled the 140km reach from Clayhurst Bridge north of Dawson Creek in BC to the Dunvegan bridge north of Rycroft and Grande Prairie.

The river pushed us along at an average of about 6 km/hr and was very calm and peaceful for the most part though it is a BIG river.

The Peace River valley is a very unique and interesting habitat with the south facing slopes(north bank) being very arid and dry with fascinating sandstone erosion patterns. Hoodoos, sage bushes, and even cacti were common which was a little strange seeing this far north. The north facing slopes were lush with forest and foliage.

Wildlife was plentiful with many beavers, eagles, mule deer, and elk sighted along the way.

The only disappointment was the lack of fish. We fished hard for many hours without any results. We tried just about everything and everywhere including parker minnows, plastic baits, jigs, bobbers, spoons, spinners, dead stick. We fished the main channels, back eddies, foam lines, pools, stream confluences and more. The water was pretty silty, with visibility about a foot but I still was expecting at least some action. Any suggestions?