Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-16-2012, 04:19 PM

Default dodge diff failure almost wrote my truck off

was on my way to pick up a shipment from the airport to work in my 2010 hemi crew and started to hear a whirring/ rubbing noise on a service road by the airport. i sped up and slowed down a few times, and it was getting a bit louder, turned off air and stereo and sped up 1 more time trying to figure out what the noise is. buddy is in the passenger seat giving me a funny look as he hears it, as i let off the gas i hear a noise like a grenade going off under the truck and the rear axle locks immediately, causing the driveshaft to snap at the u joint and puts the truck sideways at 80km/h hopping the back axle. im so lucky i was alone on the road with no traffic and managed to keep it on the road as it skid for 150-200ft spewing diff fluid all over the road. kicker is the truck was at the dodge dealership 2 weeks ago for my 4x4 service which they did the rear diff fluid service. it got towed to the dealership via chrysler roadside assistance ( great people by the way) and will await the phone call tomorrow, but it was quite the experiance. almost hit the ditch with a deep dropoff which would of certainly flipped the vehicle. i was on a major highway going 120km/h 5 mins before this happened in heavy traffic. im counting my blessings.

anyways quite the afternoon. what would you guys do in said situation? not looking forward to dealing with dodge. hopefully i can get a loaner from them considering i doubt this is a easy fix.