Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-08-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
I agree that artificial baiting does increase the risk of ungulates to possibly come into close contact with an animal that may carry this or any other disease. But so do all the other man made buffets that already are present in the ungulates natural settings.

I do believe that the small risk with artificial baiting is almost a mute point in the big picture of ungulates contracting any disease. Ungulates bed in the same area, travel the same game trails, feed naturally in the same areas, get water in same areas, winter together, have interaction while breading, feed on hay stacks and grain spoils, does clean fawns, bucks travel in bachelor groups early season, during the breading rituals, bucks will follow estrus scents for miles looking for a hot doe, pre and post rutting activities have males sparing, this list goes on and on really.. So would artificial baiting actually significantly increase the risks of disease to spread, not enough in my mind to loose sleep over.

Biggest concern should be the mismanagement of this precious resource by those who call themselves Bio's and Scientists
Great Post.x2

Are these the same all knowing Government workers, scientist, and biologists that are managing our fish and game population lol Giving out unlimited supplemental tags in areas that populations have been devastated due to winters, wolves, too many supplemental tags and the hunters who take advantage of these tags. All based on their past 6+year old surveys that say the herd in the area was to large???? Any hunter or farmer with half a brain can do basic addition and subtraction if the numbers go down so should the tags but guess what the numbers are way down but the supplemental tags are still high. But people go along with it because obviously these biologist and government employees know everything because they see a spread sheet. Fishing is in in the same situation lets see how fast we can destroy a fishery like cold lake for instance, or go to slave lake good luck catching a walleye 2 inches bigger than the legal limit...
So do I buy this whole CWD stuff I'll say partially. I am sure it's a real disease that may or may not be spreading like cancer lol just to let you know cancer is not aids it does not spread.... Is CWD just here now in the last 10 years I call BS. As the last poster says farmers spill grain and what not today with the best equipment at the height of their productivity imagine farmers 100 years ago are you telling me they didn't spill any and the deer were not eating it then herding up???
As for baiting keeping it illegal only stops the honest hunters from doing it. The poachers will bait no matter what the law says and will shoot them at night or whenever they come in. Because guess what we have a huge book full of regulations but no F&W officers to enforce them