Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-03-2015, 11:48 AM

Lightbulb New Hunter Kit

Did a bit of a search on the forums and couldn't find much so here goes...

I am just starting out hunting edible game (been shooting gophers since I was 12, and I am now over 40 ;-), and I was wondering a good place to start for a kit / get ready for first season hunting deer, elk, and moose. I took the hunter training program, and they have items but it seemed to be a bit dated. Not planning on going too far back country (truck a mile or so away), being new to the activity. What do you guys suggest?

Here's what I was thinking - 6 months to go! (pick it apart - I am here to learn!):

-WIN Number
-PAL
-30-06 rifle with scope - approximately $1200 in total for both - no need to go crazy until I know how to take care of it / determine if hunting is for me
-Truck
-Lots of practice with gun prior to heading out
-Emergency kit
-4" knife
-warm jacket / pants / hat / gloves that don't swish in cold (is camo required?)
-Good boots
-rope
-binoculars
-lots of reading on this forum!
-Watch videos
-place to go with plenty of sign
-put in for draws / get tags
-Line up someone to go with

I go into any outdoors store, and I see so much! Blinds and tree stands and scents and antlers and camo and cameras, etc. What does a guy need really, in order to have some early success, which will in turn build that hunting addiction you all have ;-) that will then justify the other stuff?

Cheers

Cheeks

Tags
early success, getting started, new hunter