Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-18-2015, 07:12 PM

Default 2015 Alberta Tom Double

Was starting to get worried that what could very well be our last AB turkey hunt was going to be a case of tag soup. Three weekends in and many kms covered both truck and on foot without so much as a gobble and only a couple sets of old tracks. We were starting to run out of WMUs, all of the old honeyholes seemed to have dried up and the new ones were too much country with too few birds. Fast forward to saturday , up as planned , pouring rain and wind my bro Shakeyleg and i decided to sleepin and watch the weather. Headed back into 305 sunday AM and hit rain just west of Macleod which quickley turned to snow. Forgot that it was the annual motorbike race this weekend up there so sunday turned into a write off as well. We were up again at 4 for the 3rd day in a row and headed into the mountains to change it up a little. We went on a few km hike shortly after daylight but saw nothing but Griz tracks
Back to the truck and up the road we go , several miles later we stopped for a smoke break for Shakey and i unleashed the gobble call. A tom answered immediatly and was so close i thought Shakey was gonna drop his cigarette....lol. We got the heck out of there a km or so back down the road and began a sneek back up towards the bird. The only decent place to set up was pretty close to the road but the only option so we made the best of it. After about 30 min of calling we learned 3 things . There was 3 gobblers not 1, there was a hen in the mix as well and none of them were getting one step closer to our position We decided against my better judgement to move. Up the mountain and around to get ahead of the birds, sadly we had passed eachother in the bush and the toms had gone downhill and across the road
We waited for them to go out of sight and headed back down the mountain. We determined which direction they were heading and set off to get in front. We ended up in a nice clearing and set up hoping that they had continued in our direction. I let out a few yelps and two toms answered and pretty close. Inside of 10 min we spotted a head as they got into range i whispered for Shakey to take the one on the left and we fired in unison. Two toms down