Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-16-2016, 03:09 PM

Default Fishing from a canoe

I was wondering if anyone can share any pros/cons of fishing from a canoe. I am trying to complete some research into a canoe that I can use for river trips with the wife, as well as fishing trips with the buddies. I have only gotten into fishing the last year or two.. always from the shore or icefishing.

I live in Calgary and have floated down the river many times, but I would like to be able to canoe K country and some of the other lakes while fishing.

I have some experience with a canoe, obviously might have to work on my skills a little before reeling in some big fish, but I was hoping for some fishing related tips for canoeing. I have a few questions specific..

1) I am a C&R guy - it is actually possible to catch and release from a canoe without flipping the canoe / injuring the fish? Is it acceptable to net them, release the hook, and then put back in?.. seems like it would be hard on the fish?

2) Outriggers - neccessary or no? Do they actually work as well as advertised?

3) Lakes that "dont allow motors" .. do they still allow battery operated trolling motors?..

4) Any additional accessories you would recommend outside of the standard?

5) Any specific types/sizes of canoes that you can recommend?

If you have a canoe setup for fishing I would enjoy seeing some peoples setups!

Thanks for any help in advance.

Tags
calgary, canoe, fishing