Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-14-2016, 07:03 PM

Question Crawling Valley Reservoir Information

I currently live in Calgary and was looking for somewhere to go fishing "relatively" close to the city, so I took a drive east and did a loop to CVR down to McGregor and then back around to the city.

I think CVR is the place for me and upon looking more closely at the map for areas to access the lake that did not involve the Campground I saw this location at 50.897815, -112.369072.

Guess my first question is; does anyone know if that location is easily accessible by car?

After visiting the campground I checked out the website and noticed the "lottery" they hold there for the limited reserved camp sites. I was hoping to find someone here that actually took part in the lottery and could let me know how it is held, after reading the application it seemed like a pretty serious endeavour.

I searched the forums and reading previous posts about the lake from a few years ago, I understand that the wind can be an issue, probably since its in the prairies (especially since I would be at most using a canoe, or belly boat and it did not sound like it would be fun to be caught out there when the win picks up in a canoe) so I will probably fishing from shore or at least close to shore.

Also I have learned what makes the fishing there good is that there are a lot of rocks and very shallow areas (even in the middle) of the lake so fishing with a larger boat can be hazardous.

I would appreciate any information anyone would like to share.

IE:

Lake maps / depth charts
Easiest places to fish from shore
Experiences from previous fishing seasons
Best baits / Lures

Also if anyone is interested in joining me / or having someone (me) join them for a day / trek let me know that as well.

Tags
camping, crawling valley, cvr, pike fishing, walleye fishing