Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-24-2017, 08:53 PM

Default 25-06 dilemna

I have been desiring to purchase a 25-06 for a while now, but have some fairly strict parameters of what I want and I am having trouble finding 'the' rifle to match what I want. Budget is up to $1500, and I am OK with doing some customization but would prefer if it is mostly off-the-shelf. Looking for some suggestions of a brand/model that would best match the following:

-high grade walnut stock and cannot be glossy finish
-blued barrel with a polished metal finish
-floor-plate preferable, but wouldn't disqualify if had box mag
-barrel length must be at least 24"
-prefer a look with a black forend tip and a black grip cap
-preferably off-the-shelf accurate (sub moa if possible), without a lot of extra fidgeting
-needs to be somewhat light, balanced mostly (my goalposts are weatherby vanguard: too heavy, savage 111 lightweight: too light) 6 3/4 - 7lbs would be about optimal, I figure. I think my vanguard is about 7 1/2 lbs and it is just a bit clunky.

On top of my dilemma of what rifle to select, my other two bolts are a .243 and a .270, two calibres I feel attached to, but I feel the 25-06 will do the job of both and that I will have too many of the same tool. I feel like I should spread the calibers a bit farther, but I am unsure what I'd like to do - so taking suggestions on this as well. The 25-06 will become my main hunting rifle and one that I intend to keep for life. I feel fortunate to be able to own 3 bolt guns, but I also don't really like clutter and duplication, so not sure what to do.