Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-04-2018, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daslogster View Post
High bc is the creedmore's claim to fame. An excellent target round with low recoil. I have done plenty of long range shooting and hunting and found that to keep enough retained energy with acceptable (1/2 MOA) field accuracy for elk, 30 cal min, 300 win mag or equivalent or 338 cal. Those are enough to get a hunting bullet through an elk at the 500 m plus ranges, emphasis on the plus. As was previously stated, not great retained energy on the 6.5, which doesn't matter for paper, does matter going through bone etc. If you limit shots to 500 m, then you can push a 6.5 or 7mm round that far but shot placement is very critical, I have seen shoulder shot with a 6.5 at 540 m and go way to far before getting anchored with a 30 cal partition.
Going to have to disagree with you about needing a .30 or bigger. Run the bullets through a reputable ballistics app. Quite frankly the case doesnt matter just look at the bullet and the velocity. I shoot a 168gr 7mm at 2950 from my 24in hunting rifle. I recently got a 300wsm because I wanted to be able to run the newer 212 grain bullets for better down range performance however when I ran the numbers in my ballistic app. At reasonable velocities inside of 500m the difference in energy and wind drift was negligible this is where 95% of hunting happens. Yes beyond 500m if you can start a 212 at least 2750 it will out perform my 168 7mm. So then I looked at what case could push the 212 grain at that speed. I don't think the 300wsm can do it why deal with the extra recoil for minimal gain in hunting rifle.