Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-06-2018, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
Then why would too high of pressure cause the bolt to fly back and the bullet not to fly out as well? Pretty sure for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Can’t have force one way and not the other. Check out the video on the Ross rifle bolt on YouTube. I doubt that bullet stayed in the chamber.
https://youtu.be/EaSui_UqDX8
I am beginning to think, after watching this and other videos, that it may be possible, in a situation where the locking lugs have failed and there is nothing stopping bolt and casing from flying rearward, the bullet does actually exit the barrel muzzle. What velocity it is travelling, with the massive escape of propellant gases, and how lethal it is at this point is another question.

This seems like it would have been a very good task for the old Mythbusters crew. I'm sure Jamie and Adam would have loved tackling this problem.

After going over Mr. Stanley's testimony again, and re-watching your video on the Ross rifle being fired without the locking lugs engaged, two things about his testimony struck me as very unusual.

As I pointed out earlier, the Tokarev TT-33 has a VERY loud muzzle blast and Mr. Stanley, by his own admission, had purchased it for this very reason, as its loud report was very successful in scaring coyotes away from his cow/calf operation. Yet, when he testified, he stated that he believed the third and final cartridge in his gun had gone off when he was firing rounds into the air.

Is it really possible that he did not notice there was a complete lack of a LOUD muzzle blast when he pulled the trigger the third time? I find this hard to believe. Even the small pop heard in the 9mm Luger video you posted would have been absent, as I believe that sound was from gases escaping out of a punctured primer, and there is nothing in the evidence about the bulged casing having a punctured primer.

Not only would there be no muzzle blast, there would also be no recoil. The Tokarev is a powerful handgun, shooting a .30 calibre bullet, and videos of people shooting it show it to have a rather stiff recoil. Did he not notice that either?

The video of the Ross rifle being fired with no locking lugs engaged is a perfect demonstration of what I believe would have happened with the Tokarev if the cartridge was slightly out of the chamber when the gunpowder ignited as, for the casing to be out of the chamber, the Tokarev's bolt and barrel would have to be disengaged from each other, and the locking lugs released. As can be seen in the Ross rifle video, the sudden powerful slamming of the bolt rearward and the massive discharge of the majority of the propellant gases from the chamber (some likely still burning) would have been a very frightening and memorable event, and many people would believe they were witnessing a gun blowing up.

And yet, in his testimony, Mr. Stanley merely states "The gun just went off". Is that not the understatement of the year?