Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-18-2019, 11:29 AM
Gone Hunting

Default It can all change in an instant.

It was a pleasant fall morning. It had rained lightly the evening before, but nothing major. The morning was sunny with some dense fog patches, but no issues with the roads.

The was a bit of ice on the windshield but not a lot. Just some lumps where water had formed droplets, and a very light film that melted away before the truck was actually warm inside.

No snow, the roads were almost dry. I checked for traction when set out and all seem fine.

Forty miles south and three bridges later I cruised onto a small bridge on a straight level section of highway. There was nothing out of the ordinary so far as I could see. Then everything went sideways, quiet literally.

One moment it was a normal morning and then I was broadside in the middle of the bridge. I tried to steer out of it but it had no effect.

Fifty feet past the bridge the truck left the road and started to roll.
The next few seconds are a blur of flying glass and things spinning.
When everything came to a stand still I was hanging upside down from my seat, looking at the world sideways.

Within seconds someone yelled at me asking "Are you okay in there" I yelled back, "No, I'm bleeding bad from my head."

I took some paper towel off a roll I had in the truck and held it to the top of my head which seemed to be where the blood was coming from.

Then I did a somersault out of the driver seat, landing on the passenger door. I was about to try to climb up and out the drivers side window when people outside told me the back window was blown out and I could get out that way.

In the end they took me to hospital by ambulance but aside frm some cuts on my scalp, a couple of bruises and some bits of glass in my hide, I was fine.

My truck, not so much.

It was such a good truck too. Over 200,000 km and it still had it's original starter and alternator. In fact the only work done to the power train was oil changes and spark plugs changed.

I guess I'll have to start looking for another vehicle. I'm thinking I might buy a used truck like the one I had. Maybe a couple of years newer but not New. I don't want new. I won't have a driving license long enough to get my moneys worth out of a new vehicle.

For now we are a one vehicle family and I'm about to head out to do the last show of the year.

I hate leaving the wife at home without transportation, but I have a business to run and costumers to supply.

See you all down the road somehwere.

George Bernard Shaw