Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-22-2020, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anything_but_fish View Post
Counterpoint: the reason the walleye are all the same size is because when one gets big enough to eat it someone plucks it up out of the lake (myself included). That's not rocket science, its fisheries science.

You keep using words that have ambiguous meanings. Balance, health, etc. Define these terms explicitly, otherwise the assumptions of what you think is good/bad/ugly are unassailable and you're just spewing buzzwords with the rest of the geezers.

You don't have to apologize for calling me stupid, especially when you actually think that to be the case.

I for example feel that if leather were logic, you wouldn't have enough to saddle the back of a small walleye.

In most of the lakes I’m referencing walleye were introduced, by the million, over the next number of years the number and quality of other species declined or collapsed while the millions of walleye which were protected stunted. Perhaps one of the healthiest fishery over the years has been travers, tons of walleye with good numbers of whitefish and pike and until a couple years ago you were allowed to keep a walleye. On the other hand go to mcgregor and you can pull in a bucket full of walleye which you let go and the whitefish and pike numbers are in hard decline, haven’t even seen a perch there for years one used to go ice fishing there and pull out a bunch of whites and pike were more numerous and bigger. I’m not arguing for a free for all but skewing the biology of a lake with stocking and then letting them wreck havoc on what’s there destroys everything else. I’m not arguing for a return to the good old days when you could keep whatever you caught and you caught a ton, I know thats not realistic in today’s Alberta with a lot more people but if you want a healthy fishery with more species of fish than walleye there needs to be some retention of them