Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-04-2021, 12:58 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
no argument Keg...just had/witnessed bad results on with the impact velocities on bone in this calibre so changed to 140 gr barnes x back in the day....now I know a fella who insists on punching shoulders out on all game animals he shoots and he too using high velocity rounds experienced the same explosive type impacts minimizing penetration using cup/core so went to the so called premium bullets as indicated by some in this thread...but to each there own as we all have personal preferences and I respect that.

Aiming for bone is a risky shot with any bullet.

It's not like you can see internal structures. You have a much smaller kill zone if you are trying to break them down by hitting bone, then you do if trying to take out a major blood vessel near the heart, or take out the lungs.

Yeah there are exceptions where you have a much larger kill zone, such as a quartering on shot. But then a C&C can do the job if you aim to miss the bone, and pull it off. I would not recommend it though because like I say you can't see internal structures and it's too easy to hit bone on such a shot.

One big problem with hitting bone, it can deflect a projectile in unpredictable ways, leading to no vital structures being hit.

As you say, you've witnessed bad results with this shot. Probably more then a few times.

But lets say it's a viable option, it's still not a must have because one always has the option to pass on a shot or wait for broadside into the boiler room chance.

Unless of course we are talking taking down an animal that was hit poorly in which case aim is the bigger issue. Get that right and you don't need a follow up shot under difficult circumstances.

Once again, if you want to use premium, no reason you shouldn't.
But they are no more insurance then sufficient range practice.

That's all I have to say on the matter.

George Bernard Shaw