Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-11-2023, 09:50 AM

Default Fence post installation? Concrete vs packed gravel

Hello everyone,

I am building a wooden privacy fence in northern Alberta. Our soil is a few inches of top soil and then clay. I have been researching and reading a lot of different ways to set the posts. I am planning to go 4 feet down and the fence to be 6ft tall.

Sounds like the concrete actually retains water when then wood shrinks and can rot the 6x6 out. It is also prone to frost heaving. Gravel let’s the water drain away and makes replacing fence post down the road easy.

I do plan on adding 2x 8 foot gates to make one large gate for a RV. The other end of each gate will be supported by a trailer jack with a large wheel. But I am worried gravel around a post won’t support the gate posts and corner posts

I am looking for some advice on which route I should go. I like to think projects through and utilize the best technique to not have to re do them down the road.

Spoke with a few local fencing guys and they seem to all have different ways. One company suggested only 3’ deep and 2 bags of concrete per post? Frost line is 4ft

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk