Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-25-2024, 08:21 AM

Default cost of black powder these days

As of late I was looking at black powder prices versus smokeless powder for my rifles and shotguns.
At one time I could shoot my .50 plains rifle all day for the cost of a box of 30/30 rounds.
Those days are long gone!!
Nowadays, for my rifles it costs more, and for my shotguns it is through the roof!
I have since quit shooting my favorite black powder shotgun with my standard 12 gauge hunting load, opting to use my 28 gauge Briley inserts installed in it for the range practice.
This way I am shooting 15 grains of Longshot powder and 7/8 oz of shot with the 28 gauge inserts instead of 80 grains of FFG and 1oz of shot in my brass 12 gauge cases for approximately the same velocity- which is important for consistency when shooting a moving target .

The cost difference is quite remarkable even when you factor in the cost of a wad, which can be at times about $1.00 for a bag of 250 , and hulls, which you can sometimes pick up for nothing as opposed to my brass shotgun cases. .
Once I started figuring out the cost I darn near fainted!
Cat