Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-01-2024, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BungMan View Post
That is a HUGE jump!
Let's say you have a 4 piece Sage rod that is >12 yr. old and originally cost around $800. For the sake of argument let's say that each section is worth $200. The warranty repair cost of replacing a section is now $200 which means that you really have NO warranty after 12 years.

It will be interesting to see if other brands follow suit.

TFO can maintain their excellent warranty but jack up prices because people will chase their warranty.

Due to these changes in repair costs, I will never purchase another Far Bank product, although if you already have one of their rods, they have you by the short hairs. An $800 rod with a broken section is useless so you have to spend the $ to have it repaired or junk it.
Warranty is why rods are so expensive. I can get a Gary Loomis built blank on sale for less than a hundred bucks US, although his sales are getting further and further apart, maybe people are staring to notice he is building blanks again and he doesn't have to get so many out for advertising anymore. Cannot make them for others commercially as I cannot afford to warranty them, shipping of blanks is a killer. I am not paying what the big companies want for rods to support others that can't look after their stuff. It's ridiculous, but every company has to do it if one does it. People think the consumer wins but really the winner is the guy that can't look after stuff.

Thomas Sowell