Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-10-2024, 11:59 AM

Default Trolling setup for big Dipsey Divers - Cold lake

Howdy fellas, I know there's some expert knowledge and experience here regarding trolling rod setups so I want to pick your combined brains.

The kid and I are getting ready for some week long trips to Cold lake with the new boat and we'd like a nice setup for running dipsey's. We've been using a gigantic Penn combo that we got on a big discount last year at the fishing hole but there's no line counter and it's ridiculously large, the drag doesn't adjust very nicely, etc.

I don't think I'm going to mess with downriggers quite yet but I'd assume a reel for dipsey's would also be ideal for downriggers (just a rod change perhaps).

For reels I've been looking at Okuma Coldwaters and Daiwa Lexa's (a little expensive but if they're worth it I'll bite). I'm hesitant on the Coldwaters as I've seen some comments that Dipsey's are hard on them.
Am I in the right neighborhood with these? Is there a sweet spot for size? I've been looking at the 300 series' but I found a great deal on a 400 Lexa.

I'm not quite sure where to start on rods but I've heard the Shimano Talora mentioned with some good comments. Open to any other suggestions.

Also, is the Lund track strong enough to mount my rod holder on for trolling with the big Dipsy Divers? We definitely couldn't use the rod holders on the old inflatable and kid had to use his leg to brace the rod when holding it...lol.

As always many thanks for helping with my novice questions!
Greg