Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-16-2010, 10:24 PM
Banned

bullseye sheepguide. you and i have different ideas how to get there, but there is no question that the province is managing sheep for numbers and opportunity rather than trophy quality. a lot of guys would like to see a few more rams live to maturity and become true trophies. and yes trophy is a matter of opinion. there are several guys here quite happy to shoot every legal ram they see, but some of us would like better. the same can be said for moose, and elk. alberta is not a prime destination for those species either if its a trophy you want. yes a few exist, but for the most part, a true trophy size animal is far too rare. mule deer is a different story though. some areas, particularly where i live, you can hunt EVERY year....on a draw zone????? thats real. some areas every second year. those zones have almost zero mature bucks. look around the province however and you see a number of places where tags are harder to come by and there are numerous trophy bucks to be hunted. im sure you are dying to know just what is a trophy in my mind, so here ya go. mule deer start at 175, whitetails at 160, sheep at 170, elk at 330, and most guys have no idea how to score a moose so ill keep it simple and just say 55 inches wide. thats just my OPINION. you can decide for yourself what you think.