Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-19-2010, 01:15 PM

Default Rod/reel suggestions

So I've got a fly rod and small pack rod I'm really happy with. Then I've got a few 20 year old spinning rods laying in the corner collecting dust, none of them very good to begin with. I'd like to buy ONE rod and reel for just "normal" lake or larger river fishing from shore and from a sit-on-top kayak here in southern Alberta. Not looking for anything exotic, doubt I will ever use a downrigger, etc. I don't ice fish. Don't need to use it on the coast. Won't be flying into any lodges for monster lakers anytime soon. Just casting or trolling spoons, spinners, jigs, etc. for moderately sized fish.

SO, suggestions as to what I should get? Spinning or spincast? Things I should make sure I get or avoid with regard to rod or reel? I should also note I'm looking for something moderately priced. I don't need a Canadian Tire clearance bin rod, but I'd like to keep the rod and reel under $120-$140. And what weight line would you suggest for, say, glenmore reservoir, or some other lakes near here?