Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-18-2007, 08:57 AM
lurch

Default Paid Hunting in Alberta?

I just got out of a local Fish & Game meeting, and it appears that this is indeed something that we need to be highly aware of.

One of the fellows from the zone came to the meeting and said that there have been back room talks with stake holders outlining very fuzzy directions about access and landowner initiatives. Apparently several stakeholders were asked to vote on the principles. They pretty much received the support from all parties involved

He also mentioned that there were meetings held that outlined a possible "test run" of two new plans.

The first one centers around how landowners would be eligible for "compensation" if they allow hunting, something like if you allowed a person on you would fill out a form (chit)with particulars & submit them to the govt for compensation. There would be a cap on each quarter for compensation.

The second is even scarier, they are talking about compensation to landowners who typically have not allowed hunting. The catch is they would allow a certain # of the tags for given species directly to the landowner. These would then be able to be sold. The example used was if there were 100 tags for antlered mule deer allotted in a WMU & 25 % of the land in that WMU were held by a landowner who previously did not allow hunting to the public, that landowner would be eligible for 25 tags to be distributed as they wished. They would have to in turn allow hunting to the general public on this land.

They are talking this will be a pilot project run in wmu 108 and wmu 300 in the 2008 season. The current Stelmach government under Morton's direction is looking at order in council to enact this. SRD released this information at a meeting apparently.

I do not know much about the details yet, as none of the information surrounding this is public knowledge. It sounds as though the government is going to try to enact legislation for the 2008 hunting season. I will advise if I hear any other details.

I can't tell you how ****ed I am. This govt needs to have their arses booted so far out of power......

If anyone has any means of getting more information on this, time is of the essence. This is the first step towards paid hunting......

Last edited by lurch; 12-18-2007 at 10:54 PM.