Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-24-2024, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Not regulation but offering added training to the one time hunter ED I don’t see as a horrible idea
The insurance regime at most ranges makes this such a nightmare, as well as having instructors available to provide said service, and who covers the liabilities in such a scenario?

To top it off, the cost of a hunters Ed course would be nearing $500 to cover all these wants, wishes, and pie in the sky thinking. We’d crater new hunter recruitment with a strike of a pen…….

You can’t build shooting competency in a new shooter or hunter in an even a couple range sessions, so this whole argument becomes seriously flawed pretty quick.

There are no absolutes
Old 03-24-2024, 09:00 AM

The bottom line is, it’s an incredibly horrible idea.

-Billy Molls
Old 03-24-2024, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathfinder76 View Post
the bottom line is, it’s an incredibly horrible idea.
10-4!

There are no absolutes
Old 03-24-2024, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
The insurance regime at most ranges makes this such a nightmare, as well as having instructors available to provide said service, and who covers the liabilities in such a scenario?

To top it off, the cost of a hunters Ed course would be nearing $500 to cover all these wants, wishes, and pie in the sky thinking. We’d crater new hunter recruitment with a strike of a pen…….

You can’t build shooting competency in a new shooter or hunter in an even a couple range sessions, so the whole this argument becomes seriously flawed pretty quick.
Insurance is a very valid point

Agree you are not going to turn out any amazing shots and are only going to provide some fundamentals

Like I have posted in this thread I even question how much of an impact it would have because issues are often more about people making bad choices. But I also see benefits in providing some training to help new hunters start off in the right direction
Old 03-24-2024, 09:25 AM

More gov’t. That oughta fix things just peachy.
Old 03-24-2024, 10:09 AM

Default unread lol

I can tell not many have actually read my post.It clearly states ( Sponsors should hold the so called Pro Hunters accountable or some level of accuracy should be mandatory).Nothing stated to or of general hunters,farmers,gun guys,or anyone but pro hunters.Like those that are sponsored to use rifles,optics and ammo.Im sorry to you perfect columnists (Dick284) lool But all the replys are interesting tks for the entertainment
Old 03-24-2024, 10:18 AM

You can qualify people at 100m, but that won't help the guy that never shoots at targets past 100m, but won't hesitate to shoot at an animal at 500m.
More government overreach, would accomplish nothing of value.
Old 03-24-2024, 10:27 AM

Default again

Pls read the entire post,Agian thisnis not about a first time reg joe hunter.This post is only about those who are (Pro Hunters) sponsored by the manufactures.Not sure how this is so hard to comprehend,pls check spelling,gramer and any other mistakes Dick284
Old 03-24-2024, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdseye View Post
Pls read the entire post,Agian thisnis not about a first time reg joe hunter.This post is only about those who are (Pro Hunters) sponsored by the manufactures.Not sure how this is so hard to comprehend,pls check spelling,gramer and any other mistakes Dick284
"Pro Hunters" , some internet heroes with an oversized ego , feeding that off normal people to make a buck besides.

Isaiah 5:8
Old 03-25-2024, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
You can qualify people at 100m, but that won't help the guy that never shoots at targets past 100m, but won't hesitate to shoot at an animal at 500m.

I think most everyone would agree with the first comment, but the Gov,t overreach thing is a bit of a stretch. Why doesn't A/O sponser a course ? I'm pretty sure the Gov't would sanction that approach if the right presentation were made. I'm also pretty sure there are enough qualified shooters on here that every area in the Province would be well covered. A "Where theres a will", kinda thing. Plus, it would be a lot more useful than pounding on a keyboard.
Old 03-25-2024, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
I think most everyone would agree with the first comment, but the Gov,t overreach thing is a bit of a stretch. Why doesn't A/O sponser a course ? I'm pretty sure the Gov't would sanction that approach if the right presentation were made. I'm also pretty sure there are enough qualified shooters on here that every area in the Province would be well covered. A "Where theres a will", kinda thing. Plus, it would be a lot more useful than pounding on a keyboard.
Too many ranges don’t allow guests, boom, off the rails your theory goes.

There are no absolutes
Old 03-25-2024, 03:49 PM

Quote:
As is normal with the government, they would require a standardized test, by approved personnel, at approved locations, and setting it all up , renting the ranges , paying testing personnel, and processing the paperwork would be expesive, and accomplish nothing.
Old 03-25-2024, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I agree that some hunters may do that,but not all. Also feel that the Govt' overeach comment doesn't necessarily have to apply.
Why doesn't A/O get involved and offer a course? We have enough qualified indiviuals on here to cover every inch of the Province if they were willing. I sure the Gov't would support a viable plan for such a course. We also have some great sponsers on here and elsewhere that i think would get on board as well. Kind of a "where there's a will" thing. Plus it would beat pounding on a keyboard.
Old 03-25-2024, 04:20 PM

Quote:
I agree that some hunters may do that,but not all. Also feel that the Govt' overeach comment doesn't necessarily have to apply.
Why doesn't A/O get involved and offer a course? We have enough qualified indiviuals on here to cover every inch of the Province if they were willing. I sure the Gov't would support a viable plan for such a course. We also have some great sponsers on here and elsewhere that i think would get on board as well. Kind of a "where there's a will" thing. Plus it would beat pounding on a keyboard.
I already answered your question in your previous post, there is no need to repeat it.