Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-17-2011, 08:28 PM

Default E-Collar

Is there a way to tell (besides the obvious) if my collar is still performing properly. My dogs not reacting the same and sometimes not at all to the commands. So I'm wondering if the contacts are worn or if it's just getting weak? Any ideas. Thanks
Old 08-17-2011, 10:03 PM
sheephunter

You can buy a tester. Wet hands work well too
Old 08-17-2011, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
You can buy a tester. Wet hands work well too
Been there done that ha ha rather not do it again.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:28 PM
Banned

Default collar

Testing it on your forearm shouldn't be a problem, if you can't take a nick to see what your given your dog you shouldn't use it, just my opinion though. I've done high 6 on my arm, considering it's there for about 1/10 of a second, not a big deal. What I did find on my tri-tronics after about 6yrs now is that when I turn it on and set it to the usually level 3 that I use, sometimes there will be no signal. If I go up to level 4, test once there, then back down to 3, I have juice. Not sure why, but waited to late in the year to send it back to get it sorted out so I will have to put up with it during hunting season. Good luck.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBE2 View Post
Testing it on your forearm shouldn't be a problem, if you can't take a nick to see what your given your dog you shouldn't use it, just my opinion though. I've done high 6 on my arm, considering it's there for about 1/10 of a second, not a big deal.
X2
Old 08-18-2011, 09:39 AM

Smile These are a mixed blessing

Try it on yourself first. Do not turn it up high. The dog will get accustomed to the shock and not behave at all.

Is the collar tight enough?

If it is a reputable brand, and the dog is in range, I'd guess it works.

The collar is not a short cut for teaching the dog what you want. It just corrects him/her when they are not doing what they have been taught to do.

Try not to over do it. It will make things worse.

Good luck with this. If you find yourself yelling at the dog, I suggest that you are doing something wrong. Try to think what you are teaching the dog, are you consistent? Does the dog know what you want him to do? You can't rush this, but the results can be spectacular!
Old 08-18-2011, 10:00 AM

Possibly something wrong with the transmitter or receiver. I had one fail recently. Have someone hold the transmitter and walk out and test it 50, 100, 150 etc.

cohod
Old 08-18-2011, 10:05 AM
sheephunter

Or you could buy a tester...lol

Old 08-18-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Or you could buy a tester...lol

lol, If you want but the E-collar/transmitter will still need to tested at distance. The one I had fail would work to 100, it was supposed to be good to 500...

cohod
Old 08-18-2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBE2 View Post
Testing it on your forearm shouldn't be a problem, if you can't take a nick to see what your given your dog you shouldn't use it, .
I would agree. I've never taken mine half way up the power scale, nor to a level I haven't tried on myself.

And if your collar has a beeper you might want to think about conditioning him over to responding to that, IMHO. I now control mine 80-90% of the time with beeps, and only resort to a zap (like 3 on the 1 to 10 scale) when he gets stubborn.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:21 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohod View Post
lol, If you want but the E-collar/transmitter will still need to tested at distance. The one I had fail would work to 100, it was supposed to be good to 500...

cohod
And you can use the tester for that too!
Old 08-18-2011, 10:24 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I would agree. I've never taken mine half way up the power scale, nor to a level I haven't tried on myself.

And if your collar has a beeper you might want to think about conditioning him over to responding to that, IMHO. I now control mine 80-90% of the time with beeps, and only resort to a zap (like 3 on the 1 to 10 scale) when he gets stubborn.
There are a couple schools of thought on that. My pup was bull headed and it took multiple low level zaps to make my point. It took one zap on high to get the same results. Now he is never bull headed and responds instantly to my commands without the use of the collar. I'm a big believer in one quick hit at high power to make your point. I've got no interest in negotiating with my dog. I haven't tried it on myself...nor will I....it's made for dogs.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
And you can use the tester for that too!
lol, my point is you will still need to physically test the collar at distance. Tester or not...

cohod
Old 08-18-2011, 10:30 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
lol, my point is you will still need to physically test the collar at distance. tester or not...

cohod
Absolutely but no need to inflict any pain on yourself....lol
Old 08-18-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
lol, my point is you will still need to physically test the collar at distance. Tester or not...

cohod
Ya I think this is my problem, and to those questioning my training thanks but I think I know what I'm doing. I was just wondering if there was a way to test. Thanks tj I didn't know about the testers
Old 08-18-2011, 11:45 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksteed17 View Post
Ya I think this is my problem, and to those questioning my training thanks but I think I know what I'm doing. I was just wondering if there was a way to test. Thanks tj I didn't know about the testers
Yup $10 online.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:24 PM
Gone Hunting

"I'm a big believer in one quick hit at high power to make your point. I've got no interest in negotiating with my dog. I haven't tried it on myself...nor will I....it's made for dogs."

I agree except that not all dogs have the same tolerance. I've had dogs that took all the time from level one to level 15 before they 'got it'. A real waste of time and frustration for both dog and handler. It's like those soccer moms who can count to three when their kids misbehave. The kid does not change his behavior till he hears thhththhththt.

So I find the hot spot and that is what I use. It works better for me and the dog. We come to an understanding quickly without the drama.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 08-18-2011, 12:35 PM

I have an e-collar I bought to help train one of my dogs to return but I have to admit I've failed totally as a dog trainer. My initial desire was to turn them both into gun dogs because they each have the retrieving instinct very strong in them. Unfortunately they are evidently smarter than me because I can't seem to get them to do what I want.

The youngest is an amazing scent dog too, if we ever go hiking the rabbits sure get a good scare.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:39 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnM View Post
I have an e-collar I bought to help train one of my dogs to return but I have to admit I've failed totally as a dog trainer. My initial desire was to turn them both into gun dogs because they each have the retrieving instinct very strong in them. Unfortunately they are evidently smarter than me because I can't seem to get them to do what I want.

The youngest is an amazing scent dog too, if we ever go hiking the rabbits sure get a good scare.
Pics? what kind of dogs? how old? where are you?

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 08-18-2011, 10:49 PM

No pics handy, I have to post some. They are two standard poodles. And before anyone makes a wisecrack poodles are a very old bird hunting breed. They are 3 and 5 this fall. Probably way too old I guess.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:03 PM

Quote:
No pics handy, I have to post some. They are two standard poodles. And before anyone makes a wisecrack poodles are a very old bird hunting breed. They are 3 and 5 this fall. Probably way too old I guess.
Smart dogs, even at that age you should be able to teach them.
Maybe contact someone like Redfrog or W.W.Birds, they should be able to help.
Cat
Old 08-18-2011, 11:22 PM

My advice to you is to find someone else that trains if you have an interest in teaching your pups.

I have a buddy who has a black standard poodle, I force fetched him for him and he went thru it great, turned out to be a great duck dog and actually has quite the drive, he didnt start training him till after 3, never too old to train if the dog has the desire! but like with any training bird dogs, retrievers anyways, whether you want a hunting dog, hunt test or field trial dog, basics are basics are basics!

You never mentioned what collar and how old? most tri tronics you buy has the testers with the kit? If it is older than 5 years, maybe worth investing in a new one than paying for a repair, much smaller receivers, better range, water proof and better settings to fine tune. Had my first collar in 85, had three settings that could only be changed on the receiver, how things have changed LOL!!

The collar to much belief is not the wholly grail and in the wrong hands is a bad tool. More good dogs are ruined using collars. Collars are not to teach, you teach thru attrition. The collar is to hold that standard once taught. Less is more, you dont need a dog to yelp to get a behaviour change

Here is a good place for repairs, or buy reconditioned or new collars, never let me down

http://www.collarclinic.com/

Quote:
Old 08-19-2011, 08:55 AM

Default E-collar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksteed17 View Post
Is there a way to tell (besides the obvious) if my collar is still performing properly. My dogs not reacting the same and sometimes not at all to the commands. So I'm wondering if the contacts are worn or if it's just getting weak? Any ideas. Thanks
'

The most common problems with E-collars are that they are not on tight enough to make proper contact, poor battery life, and a malfunction in the transmitter. Very rarely will a dog get used to a stimulas from a E-collar. I am supprised that the collar did not come with a tester as all the collars I have have them but there are all sorts of manufactuers out there now. Just as a note a poorly working E-collar can set you back in your training with a dog as there is no concistancy......Dave