Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-18-2011, 10:04 PM

Default Desert Clothing

Heading to Saudi on the job.

Any advice on what/where to buy clothing. (Calgary).

Need shirts/pants light but tough, and wicking underwear.

Anybody have desert working experience, not tactical clothing, no camo not allowed to standout.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:50 PM

911 Supply has some clothing that is intended for undercover police; it fits the tough requirement, and it looks Gap/Eddie Bauer casual. I imagine the line would include some items designed for hot climates. They're south on Manhattan Road from 42nd Ave.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:29 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks Caber, I forgot about 911. I'll drop in there tomorrow and see what's available.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:21 AM

Hey Sputnik,

I work in the Algerian Sahara (currently hitting 50deg+ most days) on rotation and have done for 3 years.

I get a lot of my clothing from MEC under their own brand. The zip off style pants are light and tough, and they make shirts of the same material. You will also find light weight polypro underwear that will suit. Definitely stick with synthetics, and long sleeve shirts. Their product is very affordable compared to that of other "brand name" stuff and as good if not better quality.

Another option is the Under Armor line, although I find it quite expensive compared to similar stuff from other companies.

You will probably find that your stuff will take more of a beating from the laundry service either on your rig or in your camp rather than the actual working conditions. The wash water is often quite brackish, and i'm convinced that they throw a handfull of stones in with each load. Its not uncommon for me to replace most stuff after 3-4 hitches (8 months or so), but that is why i go for the MEC stuff. Why spend huge $$$ on stuff that is going to get destroyed fairly quickly regardless of what the brand is??

Feel free to PM me if you need more details about desert life and working conditions.

OH, and you're 100% on camo/tactical gear. DO NOT get anything even closely resembling that of a military/police/customs agent/traffic cop etc. Also be careful when and where you use a camera...
Old 08-19-2011, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassihand View Post
Hey Sputnik,

I work in the Algerian Sahara (currently hitting 50deg+ most days) on rotation and have done for 3 years.

I get a lot of my clothing from MEC under their own brand. The zip off style pants are light and tough, and they make shirts of the same material. You will also find light weight polypro underwear that will suit. Definitely stick with synthetics, and long sleeve shirts. Their product is very affordable compared to that of other "brand name" stuff and as good if not better quality.

Another option is the Under Armor line, although I find it quite expensive compared to similar stuff from other companies.

You will probably find that your stuff will take more of a beating from the laundry service either on your rig or in your camp rather than the actual working conditions. The wash water is often quite brackish, and i'm convinced that they throw a handfull of stones in with each load. Its not uncommon for me to replace most stuff after 3-4 hitches (8 months or so), but that is why i go for the MEC stuff. Why spend huge $$$ on stuff that is going to get destroyed fairly quickly regardless of what the brand is??

Feel free to PM me if you need more details about desert life and working conditions.

OH, and you're 100% on camo/tactical gear. DO NOT get anything even closely resembling that of a military/police/customs agent/traffic cop etc. Also be careful when and where you use a camera...
I agree with hassihand and believe MEC is the way to go. I worked the better part of 3 years in Oman (neighboring country to Saudi) on the rigs. The most important piece of clothing out there in my opinion is socks. Do not use cotton! I find that the synthetic material work best. Coolmax, drymax, smartwool are just a few of the brand names.

Take care over there, its not as bad as you think. Drink lots of water!
Old 08-19-2011, 02:15 PM

http://www.exofficio.com/

get some uv blocking clothes
Old 08-19-2011, 04:53 PM

Default Clothing

Thanks Hassihand and Burns for the tips and retailer recommendation. I will head down to MEC this evening and have a look at what they offer. I had a look at their on-line offerings, but would rather go browse the store as I don't think their on-line catalouge is very complete.

I know it is going to be warm and the work locations keep changing (defence contract) so I have to be ready for whatever happens when I get there.

I'm not even going to take a camera, firstly because this is not a tourist trip, and secondly I have no intention of crossing any cultural lines in that country, those boys take life way too serious for me to start playing silly games.

First trip is only 10 days, but there will be more and likely longer stints in the future, may as well get kitted out right the first time. Besides the company is buying.