Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-05-2011, 09:33 PM

Default Blackstone River

I'm new to the forum. A long time ago, I was an avid fisherman and hunter. I was strictly a sustenance hunter/fisher, I was not after trophies. I gave up on these sports because my wife did not like fish and she didn't like the "gamey" taste of wild game. I'm still happily married, and I've decided to get back to the outdoors because I enjoy being out there.

So, long story short, after spending the past weekend traveling some of my hunting/fishing spots of 30 years ago, I came across Blackstone River Recreational Area. Beautiful area, went on small hikes, not in the best shape anymore :-)

So, here is my question, most of the Google searches about Blackstone River came back regarding fishing and some hunting. If I were to use the "User Maintained" sites, is this first come first served? If I take a spot, will someone be upset because they are regulars and have been at that same spot for 20 years?

Is the river too dangerous for swimming/tubing? Will fisherman be upset to see the river being used this way? I saw some maps posted on the campsite signs showing cutlines and I assume horseback riding trails. Where can I get one of these maps.

Thanks for any responses.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:01 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I guess I could be called a "regular" to the Blackstone area. I probably camp/fish there every other year on average.

The campsites in the actual provincial rec area are treated like any other maintained campground. You have to pay for these sites (self-registration) but they give you the benefit of a gravel pad, nearby outhouse and table. If you are like most of the campers out there you will take the "user maintained" areas. These are first-come first-serve but you want to use common sense courtesy. For example, if there are many spots open you probably shouldn't set-up right next to somebody else. Just make sure that you leave the site as clean or cleaner than you found it and take a drive to find firewood rather than taking down trees or deadfall near the camping area.

The river is relatively safe for swimming/tubing depending on the ages of any kids. There are deep areas but they don't last very long before you are in a couple feet of water. As we know, the nice swimming holes are also the nice fishing holes. It is more-or-less accepted my fishermen that the holes close to the camping areas are going to see some swimmers. Usually, if I come to a hole where people are swimming I will just pass by to the next spot. If someone is already fishing there when you arrive, don't go swimming in their fishing spot

I hope this is helpful. It is a beautiful river - have fun.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:05 PM

I'm not too sure about the horse trails but there is an outfitter (Chungo Creek Outfitters) 5 minutes further north on the trunk road that would probably provide you with some information. I'm sure that there are tons of trails that are probably maintained by the outfitters for their business.
Old 08-20-2011, 03:41 PM

Thanks for the replies, I thought I would get emails if someone posted any replies, but didn't get a thing. Just checked my email address for my account, and it's ok.

Just got back from Blackstone River last weekend. It was very busy, much busier than a month ago for Canada Day. It must have been the delayed weather. I also camped for one night down the Wapiabi Road about 7 km. along a creek. Nice campsite built there.

A bit of a disturbing sight, a saw a quad in the middle of the Blackstone River as I crossed the river over the bridge going north. I'm sure whoever that was did not realize that they might be disturbing fish habitat.

Anyway, beautiful area, and plan on spending more time there in the future.