Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-09-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 827rotax View Post
X2 this was my understanding as well, once the cattle have to come off the gates have to remain open and it is crown land as the definition is. I have hunted a several graving reserves ( all in November) and have never called or even seen a sign other than government grazing reserve??
Remember there is a difference between a grazing reserve and lease land. Even with a grazing reserve, you are actually required to get permission from the reserve manager.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:49 PM

if you try to contact numerous times, then call the SRD land manager he will try himself and if not successful he will grant you access. All leaseholder info must be on and up to date on the govs website, a leaseholder requirement. Any time I have talked to SRD about lease access they take it seriously, it's their job.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:08 PM
Gone Hunting

the phone call for permission was really just a courtesy call, not a call to ask for permission.

Regardless, I've always called ahead of time (i.e. a month before) and just before a hunt (i.e 1-2 days before) if I wanted to access a grazing lease. Like previous posters, respect goes both ways and respectful hunters contacting lease holders can go a long way in building a relationship between the 2 groups.

Well said

If it is posted No tresspassing thats what it means, look up the land-lease owner and call him for access

This is true of "privately owned" land but NOT crown owned "lease" lands.

And all lease holders must put contact information on the government access site. Or the land is open for recreational access without any contact required.

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 10-10-2010, 07:56 PM

Check the rules.
If the Leaseholder wants to buy the Lease, he has to have it appraised, then it goes to a Town Hall type meeting. Any member of the public will have the opportunity to place a bid on the Land.

Rver wonder why so little Lease land, if any, has been purchased and converted to private land.

By the way....millionaire lease holders.................oh please, my sides are still hurting from that little jewell.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:08 AM
Banned

I know this is an ooooolllllddddd thread, i just ran across it while searching for a link to th website, and I gotta take a poke at that last post. Whats so funny about "millionaire lease holders"? Ya theres lotsa lease holders out there that are scratchin out a living, but theres just as many that are rolling in money, probably more.

Im battling with two of them right now. One of them owns 2 truckin companys, a development company, an Outfitting company and a sand/gravel company. The other one owns a large trucking company. Both are millionaires (and king sized pains in the arse to deal with).

On that note, Ive dealt with a TON of landowners/leaseholders. Im sure they number in the hundreds by now. One thing Ive noticed is that the hard workin blue collar farmer/rancher is almost always a pleasure to deal with, whether he says yes or no. The ones that own thousands of acres and lease thousands more (the big money guys) seem to be more ignorant have to deal with. Not in every case, but it sure seems to be a common trend among those with the big dollars.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:15 AM
Banned

That being said though, I could tell you stories all night about some of the jerks Ive run across, both rich and poor lol. Fortunately though, the vast majority have been great guys
Old 08-15-2011, 06:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbend View Post
I am confused about the lease land access rules. I wanted to access some lease land to elk hunt and so I can walk the easy trail to get to the crown land in behind. so I called the lease holder and he told me he already had 4 hunters in their and denied me access. can he do that and if not how do you respond to that? it does not seem right that he can say yes to one hunter and no to the next when it is lease land.
Unless thats part of SRD's management plan...they can't do that.
SRD has the rules posted on their site.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eze View Post
Lease land is open to all to hunt BUT YOU MUST HAVE PERMISSION if not and the owner comes he can have you charged. Pretty simple isnt it
a false and misleading statement...
Old 08-15-2011, 09:31 PM

Default lease holders

Ok had the same problem last year with a lease holder and I have reported them to srd. What I have been told is they can not deny access based on the number of people that have asked permission . The lease holder can only inform you of how many many be in the lease .Now the information was on a specific lease and srd. has also said the lease is crown land not personal private property and the only time you can be denied access is where there is livestock in a lease. Call and report them to srd. and it will be put on file ,if it cotinues to happen the lease holder may lose the right of the lease.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:23 PM
Gone Hunting

Glad this one resurfaced. It reminds me that I better make some calls and inform some lease holders that I will be hunting on those leases later on in the fall.

I may be asking permission to set up a tent camp on one or two spots.

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 08-28-2011, 03:22 PM

Default Road Allowances and Lease Public Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbend View Post
I am confused about the lease land access rules. I wanted to access some lease land to elk hunt and so I can walk the easy trail to get to the crown land in behind. so I called the lease holder and he told me he already had 4 hunters in their and denied me access. can he do that and if not how do you respond to that? it does not seem right that he can say yes to one hunter and no to the next when it is lease land.
I've done some research on the access to recreational land from the SRD website, but I've also checked on the Municipal Districts responsibility with regard to road allowances which are public lands also. I have been successful getting permission from lease holders who make up their own rules. In my area some of the GRL and FDL leased land is accessible only by road allowances. I think this is the case for dbend when he wrote "to get to the crown land behind". I've only brought up road allowances because I believe that is what dbend was referring to. Access to Road allowances to the Lease property.

This is what I do. You have to use the SRD map to determine the specific conditions to each specific Lease. The contact information is there along with the provincial conditions and "if any" the lease holder conditions. I've found that some lease holders don't apply to the province for any restrictions therefore the only restrictions are those imposed by the province. Typically lease holders are very protective of this public land and if you confront them without being respectful, the lease holder can make your hunt miserable. That's just the way it is. Find out if the lease holder conditions on the SRD website actually provides a quota for the lease land. I find it difficult to believe the province would give the lease holder that much authority. Restrictions like that should not be allowed. It could be self imposed for his own benefit. Confirm the conditions with SRD, it's that easy.

Get an MD Map and check for road allowances, these are public corridors that may not be developed but the farmer has incorporated the land with their own property by means of an illegal fence. As long as the road allowance is public everyone can access this corridor. When the MD allows land owners to buy these road allowances, the lease property is completely inaccessible to us. All we can do is complain and hope someone listens, strength in numbers.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdslayer View Post
Ok had the same problem last year with a lease holder and I have reported them to srd. What I have been told is they can not deny access based on the number of people that have asked permission . The lease holder can only inform you of how many many be in the lease .Now the information was on a specific lease and srd. has also said the lease is crown land not personal private property and the only time you can be denied access is where there is livestock in a lease. Call and report them to srd. and it will be put on file ,if it cotinues to happen the lease holder may lose the right of the lease.
If there is a high fire hazard, permission can also be denied
Old 08-29-2011, 08:14 AM

Default no contact info

If there is no contact info, do I need to ask permission to enter?