Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-01-2008, 09:16 AM

Default support for illegal activity.

I find it totally amazing how a critical discussion of a legal (although "ethically" controversial) activity leads to a huge amount of people ranting about how we shouldn't question legal activities as it makes the hunting community look bad and gives material to the anti hunting lobby.

The suggestion being that if the activity was illegal it would be fine to be critical of it. Then something like this shows up and nobody has anything to say (ok, not nobody, but the silence is deafening). Oh, except something like, "I'm sure the people who run this forum are pro-hunting so they wouldn't shut this thread down". What a pile of *&^%.

I don't like the registry. I think it is a dumb idea and is, " dangerous if the government gets in the property confiscation mindset. I found the process of obtaining a PAL a but annoying (although, personaly I also think that the process should probably be more difficult). However, it is against the law to not have firearms registered or to possess one without a PAL. Those who openly and publicly claim to be breaking the law should be called on it. If you want to participate in civil disobedience, be my guest. Of course, the anti-hunting/gun lobby will now be able to say," see, they willingly flaunt the law. Can we trust them with guns?"

Good job guys.

If I'm turning into too much of a wingnut for yall just let me know. I'll find somewhere else to entertain myself.

Cheers
Old 02-01-2008, 09:20 AM

Sorry mods, this is in the wrong forum. I've reposted in the general discussion forum .Reply there please. Feel free to delete this thread.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:24 AM

i would have to agree....

while i do not support the registry..i am equally as opposed to purchasing/owning fire arms illeagally.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:03 PM

Default law

I always feel it is necessary to support the laws of the country, even when I do not agree with them. As firearms owners and sportsmen, if we openly state we refuse to comply, then we make ourselves a target for the mob mentality that typically provoke political action. I am completely supportive of licensing, permits and the poitential for spot checks by police, but I lose my mind when I hear anyone flaunting the gun registry as a means to control crime.

I was a police officer. Although I experienced a few firearms related crimes, the majority of the violent crimes I experienced involved fists, kitchen knives, baseball bats, screwdrivers, and vehicles. I did not experience a single firearms incident that involved a legally owned sporting firearm. The firearms typically involved were stolen, improvised or homemade, or already illegal when smuggled into the country.

The gangs and independent crooks do not intend to register their weapons.

Unfortunately, aside from creating a few jobs in the Mirimichi area, the current registry only serves to create restrictions for the reponsible firearms owner, and create an administrative burden for the government.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raised by wolves View Post

Unfortunately, aside from creating a few jobs in the Mirimichi area, the current registry only serves to create restrictions for the reponsible firearms owner, and create an administrative burden for the government.
X2 Sums it up very well!
Old 02-01-2008, 11:31 PM
Banned

Since this whole thing is aimed at scolding me, I'll say this. Its my opinion (like anybody else with anything between their ears) that the long gun registry is horse ****. Its my opinion that I should do something about it. Its my opinion that refusing to register my guns is my own way of rebelling and saying NO.While it can be said that there is a lot more I could be doing to try to kill this thing (supporting the organizations etc), this is what I AM doing, and its my opinion that its a far sight better than what MOST people who bitch about it are doing to stop it. Anybody who does anything to fight it has got room to talk, maybe instead of wasting keystrokes crying about what I'm doing, some gun owners should take a stand in their own way, whatever it happens to be....just do SOMETHING PRODUCTIVE.

Last edited by Mike H; 02-01-2008 at 11:37 PM.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by raised by wolves View Post
I always feel it is necessary to support the laws of the country, even when I do not agree with them.
In a perfect world, I think your view would be an excellent one. But in the society we live in, and the government we live under, the question could be posed, so what if the government outlawed guns completeley? Would you support that law? What if the government lowered the max. sentence for murder from life to 18 monthes? Would you support that?

I think its our job, and more importantly our right to make sure the government keeps their laws in check. When they write something as incredibly stupid as this specific law, I think we need to say "I don't think so boys, fix it".

I'm surprised and apalled by the amount of bickering between gun owners, just once it would be nice to see us all work as a group and stop this crap. Its happened all over the world in similar situations, our favourite sports getting ruined because the other team works better as a group. Locally, the first thing to come to mind is the Grizz hunt, next on the chopping block is gonna be black bear baiting. Apparently chasing yotes with hounds is already gone too, as is a huge part of several OHV areas.

The way I see it, theres 2 teams, Us and Them. So far, Them is winning cuz Us is still busy fighting lol.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copidosoma View Post
Oh, except something like, "I'm sure the people who run this forum are pro-hunting so they wouldn't shut this thread down".

Cheers

Better check your quote Tex, it ain't accurate.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:55 PM
340wtby

If you had a POL or PAL that expired between 2004 and 2006 you don't need to register until May 16th of this year. http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/notice-avis/amnesty_e.asp
Old 02-02-2008, 11:32 AM

Default My 2 cents

Maybe I'm way off here, and I apologize if I am.Heres MY opinion.
Historically, changes to unjust laws(ie- crazy gun registry) have come from some sort of civil outcry and or disobedience. Many times violence has resulted from these problems.People using the printed word to disapprove is much better than violence, is it not?
We all have to remember this is only an anonymous form of communication, people can say what they will, who can say for sure if they really are breaking the law or are just saying so to voice their disapproval.
Everyone has the right to speak,and everyones opinions count, that is what makes Canada so great!!
Just me stirring the pot,
Ken