Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-29-2011, 06:47 PM

Default Yeti coolers

Hey ,just wondering if any body could tell of there personal experience with these coolers.I being looking at them for hunting season this year and the $$$$ They want for them has kind of held me off from purchasing one of them ..Iam wondering how long they will keep ice in them say in Sept hunting season.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:00 PM

Tough as hell
Expensive as hell
Will keep cold in hell
Old 08-29-2011, 07:42 PM

My buddy that i was camping with a couple weeks ago has one and it was no better than my cheep canadian tire one.Other than the fact they are built very good and look nice they do not keep ice very long in the warm weather,2 days at the most then no ice left.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:37 PM

I've got three of them. Cool the cooler off before putting Ice in the cooler. If the cooler is hot inside before you put ice in the cooler yes it will melt the ice. But the Yeti coolers have 3 inches of solid insultation in the lid, 2 icnhes in the body. El cheapo coolers have no insulation in the lid and about 1/4 inch in the body.

Simply calculate the real cost of cheap cooler

Factory cost in China 5.00
Shipping accross the ocean 9.00 these are cubed.
Dealer Markup 10.00
SELLING PRICE 24.00 you just got yourself a $5.00 cooler. A got card board box costs $5.00

Buddy of mine has a cheap cooler because he is el cheapo. He spent $24.00 for cooler. But he spends $70.00 on beer and $30.00 on ice but he likes my cold beer after several days.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:06 AM

My Uncle had 2 down in Mexico with his 5th wheel trailer, after it gets cooled down you will not find a better cooler, I could not belive how well it kept beer cold on Ice it wasn't hours it was days, so when I got back to Edmonton I noticed Yeti coolers add from Underwater Kinetics Canada in Edmonton. I went over and picked up 2 a smaller one and a 105 Quart (but they have many sizes), before going in I checked the prices online in the US and the prices here in Edmonton were a lot less money as they are the distributor. Since then 2 of my Uncles have been over there to pick up a couple.
Just a few weeks back I went salmon and Halibut fishing on the west coast of Vancouver Island, brought my 105 Quart with me I filled it up with frozen fish and also had to pick up a coleman Xtreme as I had to much fish to fit into my Yeti cooler all were frozen by the time I got back home 2 days later all in the Yeti were frozen solid but the fish in the coleman were not. Trick is to cool it down first and don't open the lid, unless you have to.
Also noticed on the Yeti when you open the lid it is sealed so well it is like a suction on a fridge / freezer.
I would recommend you go check them out at Underwater Kinetics Canada they are a sponsor of this site and you will not find a better price, they also have great prices on Batteries I picked some up for the trail cameras, and also picked up a LED flashlight from them unbelivabley bright.
And a great staff that will take there time to explain things to you.
www.underwaterkineticscanada.com
at 16652-117 Avenue, Edmonton
Old 08-30-2011, 10:40 AM

As with any cooler, if you can put it in the freezer overnight before you use it, that is optimal. Leave the lid open tho

There are good coolers out there. Yeti is the best one I have tho. It stays coler longer and it seals tight. Good luck ever cracking or breaking one

They cost more. Thats because they are built to last. Chances are you will never have to buy another cooler.

I have a Coleman that works quite well. I can get an honest 4 days out of it. But it does not compare to the Yeti in quality or keeping things cold or frozen.