Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-30-2011, 08:48 PM

Question Question for the deep south ab deer experts???

So the last two evenings I had gone out to look for hawks and get my game eye sharpened. Out of the 17 deer I seen All were mulie bucks, not that Im complaining but where are all the does??? do they come out more at night??? most of the bucks were in small groups 4-8 a few singles but I have not even seen a doe yet, come to think of it all the deer iv seen in the last month down here were bucks. Up north I usually see 5 does to one buck. what the "buck" is going on???
Old 08-30-2011, 08:53 PM
Gone Hunting

Hard and early winter....lot of the does (pregnant) didn't make it.....LOTS....south and all thru' East Central.....should be real good next year when the guys come and shoot their supplemental does or draws....sad really......
Old 08-30-2011, 09:06 PM

Default OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
Hard and early winter....lot of the does (pregnant) didn't make it.....LOTS....south and all thru' East Central.....should be real good next year when the guys come and shoot their supplemental does or draws....sad really......
Ok thanks hal that makes alot of sense, although I must comment that the winters down south here are quite mild (the cold and snow fall) compared to my home range, but I do understand that the snow drifts can be quite bad and limiting.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:14 PM
Gone Hunting

Guess it's the kind of winters they get used to...???... dunno....but from what I've heard they got hit hard as well in the south. I do know, landowners up here told me the does would come in their haystacks about mid-late afternoon and lay down and curl up in a tiny ball...the next morning he would load them up and haul them out to the brushpile with the rest....one buddy hauled out 89 between Jan and Apr. by the end of March ranchers in Neutral Hills couldn't scare the Elk off their haystacks anymore by shooting over top of them....they would stand there and keep feeding....crazy....