Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-08-2011, 09:54 PM

Default Bad luck

My luck is bad, I go hunting today by myself. I'm driven down logging road to clearcut. Before I get there I come around a corner. And in the ditch at the treeline stands a big 6x6 bull elk. Now I'm stuck, he stairs at me from 200 yrd away. So I move slow to get out and load gun. But he obviously takes off, I call few times and wait then walk up and try to find him. Long gone. So spend following 7 hrs try to get him with no avail. I felt like crying. Lol
Old 10-08-2011, 11:05 PM
Banned

sounds like good luck to me. youre well ahead of a lot of other hunters right now. you found where he hangs out.....now go get him. dont give up, chances are he wont go too far.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:10 PM

Ya, but is going to haunt me. Not everyday you run into a huge elk specially by yourself and in the mountain zones. Little more often in parries. Happy to see him just would have been alot happier if I got 1 shot. Those elusive elk, lol.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:04 AM

Just wondering on what your approach would be to try and get this guy? I never pressured him hard. And what kind of powder do people use to check wind? And ya 1st approach is being out there, but have family and haven big dinn and it's cpl hr drive each way. Thanx
Old 10-09-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosh View Post
Just wondering on what your approach would be to try and get this guy? I never pressured him hard. And what kind of powder do people use to check wind? And ya 1st approach is being out there, but have family and haven big dinn and it's cpl hr drive each way. Thanx
I hunt a cpl hours away too makes for an early early morning and a late late night lol. makes a guy sleep good though. The commercial wind indicators are just made from talcum powder and put into a little squeeze bottle. I would just go out and pick up one or two they are very cheap. as far as approach I have no idea as I am a first season elker so The only thing i can say is get out there.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:07 PM

Yep some great luck there no doubt!!
Old 10-09-2011, 01:35 PM

Thanx all. I have been hunting elk for 10 yrs shot my first last year. Seen tons and have alot of opportunities but not many work out. They are smart and fun to hunt. It's funny how fast and much I start shaking when I see legal bull. Thanx again