Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-11-2011, 07:28 PM

Default Anyone in Calgary with a GM TechII scanner?

Recently had a 'service air bag' message come on in my 05 Sierra and found out that my obd2 scanner won't show the codes for any of the airbag stuff.

I have a link for what all the codes mean, just need the proper scanner to pull the code. The dealer is my last resort and would rather donate a case of beer instead to someone who might have such a tool at their disposal.

If anyone can help me out with doing s quick 30 second scan, u wud save me a costly trip to the dealer

Thx
Old 10-11-2011, 07:41 PM

If you had the code i could really narrow it down for you,99% of the time it will be one of the 2 airbag sensors mounted on the lower rad support.Very common.Dont wait for somebody with a tech 2,any decent aftermarket scanner will read airbag stuff.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:02 PM

Check all of the ABS connections. Chances are good, it's a loose connection.
My acadia had the same message come up. there was a connection under the seat that was loose. Fixed it, away the sign went.
I'm pretty sure most vehicles have weight sensors in the seat to determine which stage of airbag to use.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:29 PM

On an 05 it's the wiring harness in the steering column, real pita to fix. I am in the bridge or would hook you up to the efi live.
If you go to auto value they will pull your codes for free.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:00 AM

Thx for the replies. Im familiar with where the sensors are and am pretty mechanically inclined to fix it myself, but my scanner wont show the airbag codes as mentioned in order to at least narrow down my starting point. I will try auto value.

Iv checked the connections and am fearful it may be the sensor in the steering wheel as Im sure that will be at least a $700 hit.