Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-27-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
11 mpg? I would have driven it through the showroom door while it was closed!
Maybe I have an exhaust leak ha
Sittin' here waitin' on a deer, drinkin' beer and wastin' bullets, Aimin' at the empties, missin' hittin' pine trees, It ain't my fault them cans keep movin', My baby's on the phone sayin' baby come home, Where you been and What you've been doin', We'll I've been, sittin' here, waitin' on a deer
Drinkin' beer and wastin' bullets
Old 11-28-2011, 07:54 AM

I completely understand why majority of the guys will not warranty/money back.
It's all Labour.. With that being said, most of the tuners, that IS all they do, so if they screw up, their reputation/business goes to crap.

Besides.. There's WAY too many variables involved, that if it came down to it, chances are good the warranty would be void. As an example, winter gas vs summer gas, no one can garuntee that you will see any mpg improvement using the winter gas if you were tuned on the summer gas (and vice versa). Sure they both might be 87 octane, but they do not burn the same. How about truck maintenance, Can you garuntee that your truck is in 100% running condition? (injectors/maf/etc)?

What I am getting at, is that it MAY not be the tuners fault.

Most of the tuners I've met, have worked until both parties are happy.

Cam @ lightspeed is a good guy, hopefully you get what you want.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:47 PM

Got the exhaust leak fixed today, what a pita that was. The engine runs better, great bottom end, and mileage is up for sure. The rough idle is gone, but I would have never thought a manifold leak would cause that much trouble.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-28-2011, 09:49 PM

Hey Ken,just curious where you got your work done??
Old 11-28-2011, 09:54 PM

Herles truck and auto

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-28-2011, 10:00 PM

Maybe you feel better if we go smack some coyotes tomorrow?hey?
Old 11-28-2011, 10:05 PM

Lol wellllllll....

Try me after lunch

Old 12-01-2011, 07:36 PM

After fixing the exhaust leak the engine runs far better, more bottom end, smoother idle.

Today I added an edge programmer, and so far I have seen a very noticeable increase in mpg. I wont post numbers, because there is always someone that won't believe me anyway, but it works.

Also, had to play a little, and on stage 3 - extreme - it is ridiculous, felt like 2 more cylinders came online. Tow mode should be great for hauling the boat, can't wait to try.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:16 PM

This thread reminded me of the chip I had in my 05 duramax before I traded it in. Just thought I would pass on my findings, added a lot of power, but when I put it on the economy setting, it actually recalibrated the fuel used gauge on the computer, thus saying I was getting much better mileage, but when I figured it out at the fills, the mileage was not much better, and the "fuel used" was about 30% below what I was putting in the tank. When I reset to factory settings, the fuel used display went back to an accurate setting. Therefore making it look like i was getting much better milage on the dic. Not sure if anyone else had this experience or not. This was with a diablo sport.

Good to know about that shop ken, sounds like a class act!
Old 12-01-2011, 08:40 PM

Not sure how everyone checks their fuel milage. Best way is to fill your tank to the brim and run tank as empty as you can, then refill it. Calculate how many liters per 100 km and you will find out your true milage.
Do this over a few tanks of fuel and you will see your real milage numbers.

Most OEM computers computer displays will be off the true values for MPG.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:59 PM

I fill to the lid, reset the odo and drive exactly highway speed for at least 60 miles. Then repeat, convert km to miles, liters to gallons and divide.

I don't do this on wednesday on the way to Edmonton, Saturday oh the way to Calgary, Tuesday on the way to wainwright etc, I do it on a single trip to or from so it is more accurate, so as not to involve so many variables; temp, altitude, weight, wind, load, passengers, etc.

Oddly enough, the 2005 f150 mileage computer is within .2mpg every time. Closest one I have seen, other than the Corvette which is bang on.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:17 PM

Quote:
I fill to the lid, reset the odo and drive exactly highway speed for at least 60 miles. Then repeat, convert km to miles, liters to gallons and divide.

I don't do this on wednesday on the way to Edmonton, Saturday oh the way to Calgary, Tuesday on the way to wainwright etc, I do it on a single trip to or from so it is more accurate, so as not to involve so many variables; temp, altitude, weight, wind, load, passengers, etc.

Oddly enough, the 2005 f150 mileage computer is within .2mpg every time. Closest one I have seen, other than the Corvette which is bang on.
Hey Ken

Try to keep the tank as full as possible at all times, have a good trip. gas in town is 99cents a liter, might want to bring some empty gas cans. FS
Old 12-01-2011, 10:10 PM

The accuracy of my mileage calculator in my 2011 durmax is better then my 2005. The 2005 wouild be as far out as 1.5 mpg while the 2011 is usually within .5 of a mpg.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:40 PM

I bought another f150 yesterday, 2000 4.6 4x4 super cab, am going to wainwright to pick it up tomorrow or Saturday. I might try the programmer in it too, see if it makes any difference.

Up for a road trip Sparky? Gonna stop and see old greyhead.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:47 PM

Quote:
I bought another f150 yesterday, 2000 4.6 4x4 super cab, am going to wainwright to pick it up tomorrow or Saturday. I might try the programmer in it too, see if it makes any difference.

Up for a road trip Sparky? Gonna stop and see old greyhead.

Would love to but am in edmonton tomorrow.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky660 View Post
Would love to but am in edmonton tomorrow.
Next time. Drop by anytime!

Old 12-02-2011, 06:53 AM

Quote:
The 4.6L in a full size 4X4 was a mistake by ford IMO. I'm sure you will want to put a programmer in that one.....whether or not it will make any difference????
Old 12-02-2011, 06:56 AM

So, Ken, does Cam actually build these programmers himself (like Lyndon at Wester's does), or is he just supplying you with brand name programmers available from wholesalers etc????
Old 12-02-2011, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
I completely understand why majority of the guys will not warranty/money back.
It's all Labour.. With that being said, most of the tuners, that IS all they do, so if they screw up, their reputation/business goes to crap.

Besides.. There's WAY too many variables involved, that if it came down to it, chances are good the warranty would be void. As an example, winter gas vs summer gas, no one can garuntee that you will see any mpg improvement using the winter gas if you were tuned on the summer gas (and vice versa). Sure they both might be 87 octane, but they do not burn the same. How about truck maintenance, Can you garuntee that your truck is in 100% running condition? (injectors/maf/etc)?

What I am getting at, is that it MAY not be the tuners fault.

Most of the tuners I've met, have worked until both parties are happy.

Cam @ lightspeed is a good guy, hopefully you get what you want.
Can you explain the difference between summer and winter GAS please?
Old 12-02-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
So, Ken, does Cam actually build these programmers himself (like Lyndon at Wester's does), or is he just supplying you with brand name programmers available from wholesalers etc????
He does not do programmers, he goes into the factory ECM and resets the parameters. I am running an EDGE programmer that I picked up from a guy in lloydminster.

Old 12-02-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thredneck View Post
Can you explain the difference between summer and winter GAS please?
There is a difference between summer and winter fuel. A long story short is that Summer fuel is actually more expensive to produce than Winter fuel, due to the need to burn cleaner, it uses a different blend of refined products.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
The 4.6L in a full size 4X4 was a mistake by ford IMO. I'm sure you will want to put a programmer in that one.....whether or not it will make any difference????
Had the 4.6L in a supercab 4x4 of that era.
Programmer,throttle body spacer,exhaust and intake....in the end it was still a gutless pig.
Probably the biggest mistake I have ever made in vehicle buying was not going with the 5.4L when I bought the 4.6L....which I corrected a few years later.
5.4L had more everything and just as good mpg....and by todays standards its pretty much a pig too.
Not a fan of the 4.6L or 5.4L but back then I liked Fords so thats what I bought,now I buy what I feel is the best and brand loyalty be damned!