Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-24-2011, 09:58 AM

Default exclusive permission versus community access

one of the posts that I find particularly obnoxious are the posts about someone who has exclusive permission and how someone else is violating thier hunt. I know personally how frustrating it is to have someone disrupt a plan, but I've learned that the 'plan' requires contingencies for sharing the resource. I also understand and appreciate the 'internal peace' that one experiences with knowing that you have full consentual and exclusive use of some land, however;

I read with distain, the anti community sentiment that is typical in those types of posts. The selfishness of fostering exclusive permissions over promoting community access is adhorent, with the poster all the while wallowing in thier greed, bashing other hunters unchecked, under the 'trespass' qualifyer. No, I don't support trespassers, but I don't support those that do not make it their mandate to promote responsible hunting by all, to all.

So for all you hunters that have broken through landowner resistance, promote the goodness of the community selfishlessly, and for all you 'if it's legal' flipfloppers, don't make them look like asses when their considerate actions have given you a chance.
Old 12-24-2011, 01:44 PM

A very fine post.

I think I know which post/thread you are talking about, and I had a similar reaction, but wasn't quite sure how to put my feelings into words.

Thanks.
Old 12-24-2011, 02:45 PM

Default utopian view

I believe exclusive access often is a result of community access being a bad experience for land owners and hunters so they provide or secure access to those they know can be trusted to protect the property and resource.

We all know that 95% pay for the actions of probably less than 5% but those 5% have a greater impact on permission, enforcement and trespassing than the 95%. Sad but true! Discrimination against the 5% is justified and often necessary or the resource would be closed all together as a permanent solution.
Old 12-24-2011, 02:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
I believe exclusive access often is a result of community access being a bad experience for land owners and hunters so they provide or secure access to those they know can be trusted to protect the property and resource.

We all know that 95% pay for the actions of probably less than 5% but those 5% have a greater impact on permission, enforcement and trespassing than the 95%. Sad but true! Discrimination against the 5% is justified and often necessary or the resource would be closed all together as a permanent solution.
x2
Old 12-24-2011, 03:08 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post

Absolutely.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 12-24-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Absolutely.
Respectfully, I think you guys missed the OP's point.

There are some among us who are willing to do (almost) anything to get "exclusive permission" on a piece of property, including paying for it. Getting exclusive access because the landowner only wants YOU there (because they know and trust you) is different then those who try to convince landowners that they should be the only people allowed, for whatever reason.

I have a couple pieces of property where the landowners have given me full run of the place, and one even offered to tell others that they couldn't hunt (thinking that it would make it easier for me to be successful), I told him that as long as the people he lets on are going to follow the rules he sets out, it didn't matter to me. There is plenty of room on these properties. If I see people abusing the privilege of hunting there, I am quick to let the landowner know and HE tells them they are not welcome back.
Old 12-24-2011, 04:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post

There are some among us who are willing to do (almost) anything to get "exclusive permission" on a piece of property, including paying for it. Getting exclusive access because the landowner only wants YOU there (because they know and trust you) is different then those who try to convince landowners that they should be the only people allowed, for whatever reason.

I have a couple pieces of property where the landowners have given me full run of the place, and one even offered to tell others that they couldn't hunt (thinking that it would make it easier for me to be successful), I told him that as long as the people he lets on are going to follow the rules he sets out, it didn't matter to me. There is plenty of room on these properties. If I see people abusing the privilege of hunting there, I am quick to let the landowner know and HE tells them they are not welcome back.
Agree, except with the paying for it portion. I've gained exclusive rights due to being a good neighbour, being there at branding time, running a bailer, or a harrow, helping out during calving. But never, ever PAYING. That ain't gonna happen. Part of my good fortune for gaining exclusive rights is that I'm the next door neighbour. Having said that, a few city folks come out during branding and calving and help out and stay in constant touch with the rancher as "year long friends". And that is a bartering system that works real well.....for some.
Old 12-24-2011, 05:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post

i agree.....ESPECIALLY the paying for it part. i have a friend or two that has offered to keep others out of a few of my areas. i have declined. there is plenty of room, and besides. i know some of them are road hunters only. they usually take meat animals, and keep the big boys down deep in the river bottoms. for me, the competition is actually helping.

as for that paying business.....there are guys on this forum doing it. i wonder how they hold a straight face when posting here....

oh, right there...some of you just had your heart rate accelerate a little. you know who you are.
Old 12-27-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winged1 View Post
one of the posts that I find particularly obnoxious are the posts about someone who has exclusive permission and how someone else is violating thier hunt. I know personally how frustrating it is to have someone disrupt a plan, but I've learned that the 'plan' requires contingencies for sharing the resource. I also understand and appreciate the 'internal peace' that one experiences with knowing that you have full consentual and exclusive use of some land, however;

I read with distain, the anti community sentiment that is typical in those types of posts. The selfishness of fostering exclusive permissions over promoting community access is adhorent, with the poster all the while wallowing in thier greed, bashing other hunters unchecked, under the 'trespass' qualifyer. No, I don't support trespassers, but I don't support those that do not make it their mandate to promote responsible hunting by all, to all.

So for all you hunters that have broken through landowner resistance, promote the goodness of the community selfishlessly, and for all you 'if it's legal' flipfloppers, don't make them look like asses when their considerate actions have given you a chance.

Please enlighten me on how I should have a planned contingency to deal with people who tresspass on land I have exclusive permission on. This post seems like alot of complaining about gaining access to private land. I have exclusive permission on some properties and I have permission I share with other hunters on other properties. Exclusive permission has nothing to do with paid hunting. It has everything to do with the land owner wants people they know or trust accessing their lands. For example I go talk to one land owner and they say your always the first to ask therefore you are the only one who I'm allowing to hunt. Is this me taking away from hunting, because that a land owner has chosen to only allow me on their lands? This thread gets me fired up because so many people belly ache over not having anywhere to hunt "They don't allow any new hunters" So what, get back in your truck and keep on banging on doors. You think the hunters with exclusive permission just get it mailed to them every august? I know I work damn hard from June 1st to Novemeber 30th to receive permission and look for new lands to hunt. I just don't understand how someone who's willing to work their butt off to seek land to hunt on and its the land owner decides he only wants one hunting party on his land. Maybe this thread is over my head, but I think the real ones who take away from hunting are the ones who wait for november 1st and say theres no where to hunt. Then complain online about their bad experiences. Do they not have 1 weekend they could not spend scouting. Maybe 1 day even?

There is always the option of crown land is there not? If people took their energy from complaining of having nowhere to hunt and converted into energy spent scouting they might be more successful?

For the people who say oh yeah exclusive permission is horrible and wrecks hunting. Why don't you post some gps cordinates to your honey holes so we can all share? I mean thats unfair if your killing elk or big deer every season and not allowing other hunters in on the action.

jmo
nbfk
Old 12-27-2011, 03:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by winged1 View Post
For several years now I've been asking around to get permission to hunt Strathcona County during muzzle loader season. Are you saying that if and when I ever get permission I should invite other people to go ask the owner for permission to hunt there as well?

If someone says that not telling people where I have permission to hunt is very selfish so be it, but I just see it as common sense. I don't mind helping someone out but there's a difference between being a nice guy and being a fool.

I know people that have permission to hunt in Strathcona County but I'm not going to pout because they have permission or own land there and I don't. That kind of attitude sounds a little childish if you ask me.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:47 PM

It's kinda funny how people bring up paying! I know a few guys out there that do this !My hunting partner got booted of a piece of property because somebody started paying the landowner and it is a prime piece of property! Illegal it is but who is gonna report or for that matter investigate this! It comes down to proof I guess!
Old 12-27-2011, 07:56 PM

The original post wasn't about payed access. It was just some words to ponder. Turns out a stubborn landowner finally broke down and we're on. Word has it he let someone else on and was pleased. We won't dissapoint, fully aware there may be others to follow. The point is, we're not out to badmouth others to gather exclusivity.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1shotwade View Post
It's kinda funny how people bring up paying! I know a few guys out there that do this !My hunting partner got booted of a piece of property because somebody started paying the landowner and it is a prime piece of property! Illegal it is but who is gonna report or for that matter investigate this! It comes down to proof I guess!
where i come from the fish cops arent interested in even trying to lay charges. i can easily prove there are a couple landowners with their hands out, but they wont act.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:00 PM
Banned

It is the internet age, I find so many anglers and hunters go on here and want to know where you are hunting and fishing, some even want gps coordinates. When they dont receive any they get all in a rant about this board is for sharing info...blah...blah...blah. Lazy people have always wanted something for nothing, they dont realize that some hunting locations and permission have been acquired over the past 30 or 40 years of friendship, trust and a mutual respect for the land. They go out talk to a couple of land owners, and if they are rejected, they loose it, come on here and whine and whine. HAVE YOU WHINERS EVER HEARD OF EARNING SOMETHING........didn't think so.