Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-06-2012, 09:03 PM

Cool Sleds!

Hey Everyone,

Im looking for a new sled, I currently have a home built but with the addition of a power auger this year I've kind of outgrown it...and its not great for towing behind a snowmobile.

I stopped in at Peavy Mart today in search of a calf sled and found one that was about 12 inches too small and an Otter Pro Medium sled... the otter is nice but its a little big and the price tag is 110 bucks

Whats the best/cheapest option for a sled? I want to be able to fit tackle, power auger, 2 lawn chairs, 3 man popup tent, and miscelleneous stuff like lunch/water etc.

I was looking at these ones online, not sure if the quality is good or not?

http://www.cabelas.ca/index.cfm?page...=1500&ID=34435

http://www.cabelas.ca/index.cfm?page...=1500&ID=35323

Any info on icefishing sleds in general would be great, also if anyone knows where I can get a calf sled that's 50-65 inches long, that would be great because the calf sled at Peavy Mart that was a bit to small was alot cheaper than brand name sleds of the same size.

Tight lines!
'frenzy
Old 01-08-2012, 12:20 PM

I have a jetsled xl that I picked up last year from the fishin hole during their boxing day sale. I wouldn't want anything smaller. I set it on edge across the front of the truck box and park the quad against it for transport. Works perfectly.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:45 PM

I have the Otter Medium Sled and find is works great. I put the runners on the bottom and used spare runner and made tie down points on the side rails. Bought a fuel can holder for the outside back and it tows great behind the quad. The price is alittle hig but very strong and I should get years of use out of it. I looked at Jet Sled but seems made of lighter material.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:18 PM

Bite the bullit and buy the largest Otter you can fit in the back of your truck.

They will take a pounding like you cannot imagine. My grand kids tow each other around my place all winter and summer with my large otter and then I pull it behind the quad with all the equipment, auger and tent. 5 years old and still no real signs of wear.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:54 PM

Default ufa

Went to ufa and got a calf sled, was a heck of a lot cheaper than the jet sleds..
Old 01-08-2012, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba 96 View Post
Went to ufa and got a calf sled, was a heck of a lot cheaper than the jet sleds..
What are the dimensions on that bad boy?

Thanks for the tips guys, im gonna check UFA and Co-op and compare the quality of the calf sled to the Otter, might just dish out the cash and go for an Otter.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:47 PM

I recommend getting the biggest one like the jetsled XL. I picked one up this year but have only used it once. The other times I've just been hauling my quad trailer behind my quad. Now with all the gear I have I don't know how I will get it into the sled. I may buy a second sled to haul more gear once it snows and I can't haul the trailer anymore.

Go big if you can afford it just so you can add a camera and flasher to your gear in the future. Don't forget the bbq.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:08 PM

basspro has some sled. the smallest to biggest is around $45 ~ $75. they were on sale 25% in boxing week.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:46 PM

I got a calf sled at the UFA a few years ago, I put a 4 man ice cube, older 3 hp jiffy auger, bucket, fishing box, heater, axe, shovel, lunch and thermos in it, takes a mule to pull it. They had 3 sizes when I got mine, there is still a larger one than the one I got, they are good and sturdy
Old 01-09-2012, 08:12 AM

I just bought the Otter medium size, 55"L X 26" W X 13" D. It holds 4 man Ice Cube, 2 5 gal. buckets 8" power auger and a medium size rubber maid tub with all my accessories. They are $74.99 At Bass Pro.